Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out looking around this weekend and still ducks and geese around. Got into a field shoot in corn on Friday, between five guys we got 25 mallards and a goose. Could have shot more since swarms of mallards were flying the field, but half the group had to go to work so packed up at 10:00am. Saturday was out in Netley and marsh is begining to freeze over, but bluebills and mallards are there if you have a means on getting to them. Wind seems to key to keeping the water open. Over the course of 24 hours saw one lake frozen, open up, refreeze and open up again just due to the wind or lack of it. Hunted Saturday night and ended up with 4 mallards, bluebills and a gadwall between two guys.

Real cold weather looks to be coming by next weekend, which should send everything that is remaining south.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is about 400-500 Canadas right by my house (next quarter) all weekend... Been coming in around 9 am and sitting on the field to dark... When I went diver hunting last weekend I left all my decoys and blinds at my parents so I had nothing to use this weekend to go after them... FML!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tons of birds still around. These are the fattest healthiest birds that we see and it is my favorite time of the year to hunt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Blue bills are just getting started IMO. Once you get the edges freezing up then it gets exciting! Now just to find time to get out there...

There are 8 million geese around still but one or two cold nights and the smaller ponds will be frozen and they will take off.

·
Registered
530 Posts
almost nothing left up in the pas (carrot valley) area. Only open water is the SK river and that has huge pieces of ice floating on it. So make the most of whats there guys because there's no more coming.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
brettwilby said:
almost nothing left up in the pas (carrot valley) area. Only open water is the SK river and that has huge pieces of ice floating on it. So make the most of whats there guys because there's no more coming.
Best mallard shoot I ever had was an open stretch of the Carrot River back in the mid 80s. Find such a place and you'll hammer the greenheads.

My Golden Retriever was not liking birds 12 to 18 in that icy cold water.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You would have a hell of a time getting my uncles dog to stay on the shore until the end of the hunt. He doesnt even let you pet him when hes "working". He eats, sleeps and breathes hunting. Every waking moment of his life is put toward pleasing his master. You have to peel him off the bottom of the aluminum boat after the hunt. (he wears a vest to help a bit obviously).

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
jimmypic said:
André said:
jimmypic said:
I don't let me dog into the water until the very end of the hunt at this time of the year.
So how do your birds get immediately retrieved Jimmy? :?
Boat?
Walking?
So what does the dog retrieve at the end of the hunt if the birds are picked up by boat or walking? Little confused.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
geese and ducks still around Oak Hammock, not going to last long though. So if you want them, better get out and do some scouting!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Andre,
I let the dog get the last couple of birds so he isn't sitting there freezing for a few hours. More dog owners should try it and they may get more years out of their dogs. Don't worry, no laws are broken and no meat is wasted. Still confused?

Thousands of mallards around right now and the Hammock has a lot of them. I hear Folster's in Netley has quite a few rafting up too.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
jimmypic said:
Andre,
I let the dog get the last couple of birds so he isn't sitting there freezing for a few hours. More dog owners should try it and they may get more years out of their dogs. Don't worry, no laws are broken and no meat is wasted. Still confused?

Thousands of mallards around right now and the Hammock has a lot of them. I hear Folster's in Netley has quite a few rafting up too.
All good Jim! The old hound must wonder what's going on when he isn't sent on retrieves. lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wasn't going to let him in today at all but when we started looking for a wounded bird, he left the boat after he was told to stay. He got wet but we were on our way home anyway. It was so cold that his zipper froze on his vest and we had to put him back in hte water.
The bay we set up in was forming ice all morning long and we watched our dekes get frozen in. A mere fraction of the birds we saw out there last weekend.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well was hoping to get my dekes this week to do a saturday hunt but didn't so looks like that is it for the year... The geese are gone from my place but seen a huge flock in a stubble field as well as a corn field full of mallards...

Oh well off to deer camp today!

Shane

1 - 20 of 21 Posts