Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used one? I have seen a couple in action on you tube videos but has anyone here actually used one. On some of of videos they say that they work great on ducks, snows and lessers, but how about regular sized or the big canadas. Thoughts and opinions and real life examples welcome.

Cheers,
K

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kaupontenkak, I have had one now for about 3-4 years, it works great on ducks and snows. On Canada's it doesn't work as good, you have to cut the front of the Canada's and then pull like a son of a bitch. We cleaned 48 mallards 6 man limit on Saturday in less than 1 hour.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks. I'd not seen one before, or heard of them either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
530 Posts
This thing works extremely well with specks, snows and geese of similar size. Canadas will take a bit more muscle to get through them but any adult will not have a problem with em'. Just to make it easier we'll usually put two people on a canada goose and breast em' out just as easy as one person can a duck. The? thing is unbelievably easy to operate and clean up is as simple as spraying off with a water hose. SIMPLE!!!! Thanks for askin' John84uab.
took this from a guy who owns one.
i may have to give one a go how much are they?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brettwilby said:
This thing works extremely well with specks, snows and geese of similar size. Canadas will take a bit more muscle to get through them but any adult will not have a problem with em'. Just to make it easier we'll usually put two people on a canada goose and breast em' out just as easy as one person can a duck. The? thing is unbelievably easy to operate and clean up is as simple as spraying off with a water hose. SIMPLE!!!! Thanks for askin' John84uab.
took this from a guy who owns one.
i may have to give one a go how much are they?
I think that they run about $129.00 http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Bird-Cleaner&i=421841&aID=503A4G&merchID=4006

MacDonalds in Portage also sells em, but no price listed. http://www.macdonaldsportinggoods.com/product.php?txtCatID=50&txtProdID=217

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Outfitters use them a lot now that there aren't any local mass pluckers available. They've modified it by adding an arm to raise it from hitch level to waist level. No more bending down. Larger geese are a bit of a challenge but the unit could be modified to accommodate various sized birds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We used one a few weeks ago and it didn't impress me that much. Makes a hell of a mess tearing the birds apart and takes more time than just breasting them. It would make good sense to use one if you had a lot of birds to clean BEFORE they were transported but I hunt close enough to home that I do all my cleaning/breasting in my yard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one and love it

Very efficient - great for cleaning a mess of snows, ducks and small Canada's in a hurry

I had one fabricated - more heavy duty than the commercial one which is kind of flimsy

I also welded a receiver on a riser right onto the trailer tongue and a riser on the bird hitch to bring it to waist height

No more detaching the trailer to put the bird hitch in the receiver - clean the birds right in the field and bring big garbage bags to haul away the remains

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ STUBBLE,

Did you do the Fab on the Bird Hitch yourself or did you have someone do it?

We shoot alot of big Canadas. Is there any point for us to get one ya think? You guys have any success with Canadas, Some folks say you can, some folks say you can't.

Cheers,
K

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was produced professionally by a talented machinist

Not worth a darn on BIG Canada's

If you skin the front and back it still takes two men consideable effort to pull a big Canada through it

We focus on snows, little Canada's and ducks - it's perfect for those

On our last hunt we processed 72 birds - cleaned, bagged and tagged in just over half an hour

·
Registered
135 Posts
kaupontenkak said:
@ STUBBLE,

Did you do the Fab on the Bird Hitch yourself or did you have someone do it?

We shoot alot of big Canadas. Is there any point for us to get one ya think? You guys have any success with Canadas, Some folks say you can, some folks say you can't.

Cheers,
K
I have over 10,000 birds through one hitch, great invention! If you want to run big geese through it cut the neck and head off at the chest area, the feathers and neck bunch up on the cutters. They run through a lot easier. Do not let your birds get near freezing point or you will rip them apart.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We tried ours for the first time this weekend on ducks, it was awesome! My buddy made the riser as well. The factory riser costs like 60-70$ without the riser your have to kneel or sit on a small stool.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts