Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of using a bipod on my 270 for whitetail. I've never used one I usually prop on trees or rocks in the blinds I make. Does anyone use one and if so what r your thoughts on it. Is it worth me buying one ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought one this year to use moose hunting but never got chance to use it. Think in certain situations it be awesome to stay steady etc. i tried a shooting stick last year but found it uncomfortable. I have the 9-13 inch Harris, can put it on gun in less then a minute which is nice. Think I'll be lookin into the next bigger size next.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have one on my guns when I hunt, a little awkward height wise so find one that is the right height for you. It's nice when you can use it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have one that I use for my 22-250 which works great. I've used it on my 300 Win Mag once and when I shot it collapsed one leg. never used it again. however I bought a tripod type which stands 6' high which I prefer way better. The other is ok if you like sitting on your a$$ or laying down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a mono pod that works great when sitting in my blind. I have thought that a bipod would even be better for that.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I use a bipod, it can be useful. The biggest buck I've shot I was just laying in a field, looked behind me and saw him, swiveled around with the bipod already set up, and without delay was able to take a perfectly stable shot. It's a 9-13", and it's a must to get the pivot model... The ground you're on won't always be level, and this one allows you to tilt the rifle to level it out. I think this is a Shooter's Ridge... Will save money vs the Harris.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a Stoney Point Polecat Rapid Pivot Bipod System, and I never take my rifles anywhere with out it. It is the sitting/kneeling one, goes from 25"-45". It swivels, and it has rubber holding the legs together, so if you are in a rush, and have it set to high, you can spread the legs apart, or tilt it. To carry it when I walk, I set it up height wise for kneeling, then just put it over my shoulders. It is great with a lawn chair and hundreds of gophers too... :twisted:
I had a tripod, used it once, and returned it for this one. It did not swivel, so when the deer took a few steps, I had to pick it up and move it. Tripods suck on unlevel ground, and like SISIF said, you can maneuver the bipod around to make it level.
I would not buy a mono pod, my buddy bought one, it is not stable enough, unless you are leaning on something with your body as well.
I will never be without one again, and I will be buying another one of these as soon as I can.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i just made a couple sets of bi-pods (kneeling height and standing/walking) using the electric fence post and calf rubber trick... The work fine and you can use them as walking sticks as well... The nice thing is it is under $10 per set LOL....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shane019 said:
i just made a couple sets of bi-pods (kneeling height and standing/walking) using the electric fence post and calf rubber trick... The work fine and you can use them as walking sticks as well... The nice thing is it is under $10 per set LOL....
:lmao: man that sounds like me I was going around the yard looking for hickory broom sticks to use for that

·
Registered
193 Posts
My cousin is one of the strictest guys I know on spending money, and he laughed when he heard what I paid for my bipod, even saying I was too worldly, and saying he would make one. He is a very handy man, and I thought nothing of it, until the next time I showed up to shoot more gophers, and he had the same bipod I did. :lmao:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Aharder said:
shane019 said:
:lmao: man that sounds like me I was going around the yard looking for hickory broom sticks to use for that

HAHA yeah I haven't shot anything using them yet but, have aimed at alot of trees and rocks and seem to work fine. Better than the saplings I would cut in the bush last year :lmao:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I made a bipod using old fiberglass tent poles I had lying around. They are joined by a piece of tubing which doubles as the forestock rest piece. I haven't shot with it yet but sighting objects with it I find it very steady and comfortable while sitting in my hunting chair. Three more weeks and it'll get some real field testing!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I use a tripod and like it... Its fully adjustable and I can level it on even the most uneven ground, and it swivels... It's tall enough that i can use standing, and goes low enough I can use it prone too if I wanted to... its a Vanguard, I got it at Leverandrye's in LDB...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Those vanny's with the DBM have a way to drop them I find, always catches on the release then flop!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
jondur said:
Those vanny's with the DBM have a way to drop them I find, always catches on the release then flop!
??? The tripod is made by Vanguard, although it is a DBM Weatherby that will be perched upon it!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts