Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 338 with heavies isn’t a bad idea at all. If your man enough to handle it & not be scoped constantly. I’m not a big dude so I shoot lesser caliber with heavy per caliber loads. But I do have a 264win launching 120/127g barns 3250/3300fps. Use it sitting on ground in brush piles on whitetail bucks 150-400 yards they’re dead right where I hit em. I do shoot a lot & sight to make spine shots. Also use a custom 284 win 70 with 150s at 3050fps. It uses less powder & puts deer down instantly if I do my part with minimal meat waste. That’s the goal for me, don’t destroy 1/2 a deer just to get it!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I use a 308 with factory 150 grain bullets. Speer hot core I believe. I actually recovered one this year and it baffles me how guys can say that whatever they use “stops them dead in their tracks” cause a head shot with a 22 rimfire will do that!

My 22 is accurate and consistent enough to do it but not on your life. I am from the school that says shots on game are double lung only. I always have game run, walk, trot, or plain bolt. When recovered they are bled out and dead. That’s how I tech my 3 young ‘uns to do it. I would absolutely refuse to go hunting with a fellow that takes head shots.

You will come across only one animal with the lower jaw gone, drooling and half dead, looking like hell and you will agree with me.

No issues with whatever was posted previously btw but I always question the “dead in their tracks” slogan as it seems to me that hunters don’t know where to hit game. Spine shots waste meat. Neck shots are worse. A 2” target at 200 yards in the field position?? C’mon. I would never try period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use a 308 with factory 150 grain bullets. Speer hot core I believe. I actually recovered one this year and it baffles me how guys can say that whatever they use “stops them dead in their tracks” cause a head shot with a 22 rimfire will do that!

My 22 is accurate and consistent enough to do it but not on your life. I am from the school that says shots on game are double lung only. I always have game run, walk, trot, or plain bolt. When recovered they are bled out and dead. That’s how I tech my 3 young ‘uns to do it. I would absolutely refuse to go hunting with a fellow that takes head shots.

You will come across only one animal with the lower jaw gone, drooling and half dead, looking like hell and you will agree with me.

No issues with whatever was posted previously btw but I always question the “dead in their tracks” slogan as it seems to me that hunters don’t know where to hit game. Spine shots waste meat. Neck shots are worse. A 2” target at 200 yards in the field position?? C’mon. I would never try period.

Bang on man. Although I have had a couple over the years that dropped where they stood with a double lung or a heart shot. But usually they go about 30 yds and pile up. Shooting .270 with 130g bullets usually. Shot two this year with federal 136g, both died, but I’ll be going back to corelokts, seems to kill em a little quicker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everyone gives the 6.5 creedmoor a hard time. A few years ago I took a chance and tried one out. I’ve upgraded since that rifle and have put together the ideal rifle for me. A Browning hells canyon speed with Talley rings and leupold vx3hd cds with zero stop turret Weighing in at 7lbs 6oz. I’m fortunate to live in an area where I can spend a lot of time behind the rifle. Between my hand loads, chronograph, sub moa rifle and lots of practice I’m confident and comfortable if I do my part I’ll hit where I lay those crosshairs every time. I’m not preaching its the best calibre out there… but it works… just like every other calibre mentioned in this thread.
My bow can kill any animal in this province, the 6.5 surely can too within responsible and ethical hunting ranges.

·
Registered
106 Posts
High shoulder 200 yards 284 win 150g lapua scenar 3070fps. .284 on way in, base of neck, hit spine low, no damage to loins,broke first rib on backside, exited top of shoulder blade. I would never teach a jr hunter to shoot here. Vitals with 243 etc. But I’m not a jr hunter. I never take a head shot.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Any bullet can kill any animal. To me big game includes elk and moose. 308 shooting 180s is better for elk or moose. As many say need good shot placement . But the factor is you are not shooting at a stationary target like I piece of paper. I think if animal moves just as you pull trigger shot placement will not be exact. So 180 grain bullet I think has better chance to bring animal down than 140 grain where shot placement was iffy because animal moved.

6.5 creed to me is like having to always have newest iPhone.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Plus if you are telling someone new that 6.5 creed is good calibre for big game they will go and buy 120 to 130 grain ammo and go hunting for ALL big game animals. New hunter probably can’t shoot the nuts off a fly so you can expect shot placement to be iffy.
if I have to follow a wounded animal in thick bush I put away bolt action rifle with scope and carry pump12 gauge with open sights slug barrel. You can expect quick shots where target acquisition is key, less chance for deflection and quick follow up shots are required.
Can I use 308 or creed to follow wounded deer? Yup. In my opinion it is not ideal. Just like I don’t think 6.5 is ideal for all big game animals like I think 308 is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Im not looking to start an argument but…a 6.5 creed pushing a 130g barns or accubond or any tougher non fragmenting bullet at 2850+FPS is totally capable of cleanly killing large game. A 308 with a 165-180 cup & core is really less capable. The creed like the 308 both pushing newer higher bc bullets can buck wind and kill at long ranges also. Both just need bullets matched to the game pursued. Shooting a whitetail at 2-300 yards with a creed or 308 & a barns ttsx you could pass from brisket to arse with a possible exit. The 6.5 creed is just basically a smaller caliber 308. Same principle, punches above its weight. Bush guns are totally different topic. 30-30 lever with 180s is my go to.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I will take bigger hole more blood loss any day especially when talking new hunters asking what is good for big game. Plus I don’t like people flinging shells at animals at 400+ yards because they think what they have can . Not too many competition shooters in the bush I have seen. If people need to fling lead that far I think it is better that they practice hunting rather than shooting.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Don't blame the cartridge for what it can/can't do, but you can certainly blame the shooters abilities and ethics for thinking they can do things that they can't. .

I totally agree that there are fewer and fewer hunters and more and more shooters out there pretending to be hunters - 'tis the way it is these days. Actually makes me want to puke.
I deleted other social media accounts this past week as I could not believe the unethical hunters and just general BS (most on the wrong side of the fence) that people are posting - therein lies the real issue. Seems the rules and ethics have gone the way of the Do-Do bird.

·
Administrator
393 Posts
This brings to mind a convo I had with someone at my workplace a while back... Apparently, he and his hunting buddy seek out head shots, and they talk about it like it's the most normal thing in the world.. almost seems like they compete with each other to see who gets the best 'story' about shooting a deer in the face. Fucking disgusting, and I've let him know. I'd never accept an offer to hunt with him, but given my comments to him on his hunting ethics, he's really unlikely to even ask. We don't really discuss hunting anymore.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I watch wild tv and when the long range hunting shows come on I shut them off. Can’t stand seeing them shooting at animals 600 to 900 yards away. I love they never show where the bullet hit and said where were the aiming . It is like a military sniper . One spotter and guy estimating wind.
Plus I doubt guy fling lead up to 500 yards at animals in foot of snow would probably be to lazy to go check after the shot to make sure they didn’t hit it. Especially when they are shooting at high shoulder and expect the animal to drop on the spot from what they read. High shoulder is pretty much throw away front quarters shot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Were definitely off track lol, what was the original question? Oh yah, big game rifle 308 or 6.5 creed. How big of game? What kind of terrain? What’s your shooting & hunting experience level? Or just take rock & rolls advise lol

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think the biggest thing over caliber choice would be something the shooter is comfortable and confident they can make a clean ethical shot with. I used to have a bad case of Magnumitis. Don't allways need a big caliber to get the job done right...

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think the biggest thing over caliber choice would be something the shooter is comfortable and confident they can make a clean ethical shot with. I used to have a bad case of Magnumitis. Don't allways need a big caliber to get the job done right...

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk
100% I downsized a couple years ago to a .270 and my goodness, my clean kill ratio has gone way up. I am so pleased with my ability to make quick clean kills now.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts