Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I've had some birds that were excellent table fare...some were just OK....and others were gag stimulating. What waterfowl is the best tasting...?

·
Registered
78 Posts
[offtopic:2ajfhj6l]Breast sized comparable to a walleye cheek at the end of the day lol.[/offtopic:2ajfhj6l]

LOL! I cook them like that too. Breaded with Panko and seasoning, fried in olive oil

·
Registered
303 Posts
BBQ marinated teal or mallard breast so far are my favorite.

Stewed goose can very very nice specially when seasoned for game with thyme.

Last goose I ate was pulled pork style out of my slow cooker. Very good as well. And then there's shaved goose breast meat cast iron pan fried in butter with salt and pepper...WOW!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The last time I ate a goose we were still using lead. Now I can't remember if I liked it a little or hated it a lot. I am struggling with this trying to justify buying a new gun and maybe spending 2000 on a semi to shoot a bird that I hate eating. :?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like roasted redheads with some onions, peppers, garlic and citrus juice in the roaster... Redheads are the only ducks I usually pluck unless it is a late season Mallard or Teal....

·
Registered
401 Posts
ChaD? said:
none of it! lol such a terrible taste. I wish I could release the geese after shooting them, till then, Ill get pepperoni made lol
x2. I love bird hunting. Just can't stand the taste of it. That's why I haven't gone in over 5 years.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I will eat anything but a snow, goldeneye or northern shoveler, scoter or old squaw duck. I am sure there are others but none that I have had in my boat. I have deep fried all of these and fed them to friends and they said they were excellent. Must've been the beer.
For me, it all depends how you prepare them but teal are the tastiest by far. The most challenging shooting and the best tasting. No wonder I have 2 dozen teal duck decoys on order.
If I eat one Canada a year that is usually enough but I do like the deep fried in a beer batter.
Years ago the canvasback would get the market hunters the most money and then the redheads.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
dmeats44 said:
The Ribeye of the sky is Sandhill Cranes!
Really??? I personally didn't care for sandhills myself...

I have yet to eat one but they say canvasbacks are the finest eating ducks out there!!! We used to make a ton of jerky out of our geese, was an easy way to make them taste better!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's all good,if it tasts bad or tuff your doing it wrong,I am a millwright by trade but cooking game or any meal is an art form,I always take the time to prep it the right a lot of effort goes into harvesting I'd hate to rush things and wreck it,I like goose the best,stuffed breasts then bbqed to med done

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gooses are deluxe just got to figure them out.
Marinade in your favorite flavour or spice- BBQ medium rare. Bloody center. RIBEYE
if you have more time and a smoker- Google Goose pastrami- this is hands down the go to. 2nd would be (google) smoked goose breast- gives you a receipe for a teriaky marinade then in the smoker. I do have reciepe just to lazy to dig it up.
if you have no time- visit your local hutterite colony and get them to make you 1) goose breast Salmi 2) breakfast sausage 3) pepperetes. they usally make batches of 25lbs at a time. 20lb gooses 5 lb pork. you can ask they to make the ratio you want.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.