Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into the trail cam game, just wondering what people have used that are both good and affordable. Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Definitely get into it! You'll have a blast.
Purchased a Moultrie M80 and used it through this Bear season. Great clear pics. Trigger speed is good. I picked it up at Cabela's for $120.00.

I had a Uway NX80. A much more expensive camera. Trigger speed was fantastic but am on my third one ( 2 warranty replacements) in a
year.

Depending what you want, it doesn't have to be expensive.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Always looking for the the best compromise between cost and quality. Have had good luck with WGI Micro 3X. Picked up a few at Cabelas for $70 each. Yes there are better quality cameras, but I can put out 4 cameras for under $300 and if one gets eaten or stolen, it won't break the bank. So far the one brand I don't like, no matter what model I've tried is Stealth Cam brand of cameras. Each one i've used or seen has quit working. Really like the Bushnell Trophy Cam HD's, but they are over $200 each.

·
Banned
216 Posts
I'm not crazy about my Stealth cam either, Spypoint Tiny OK......its decent, but I wouldn't buy them again either of them. My old Moultrie is a tank

·
Registered
116 Posts
brasso said:
I'm not crazy about my Stealth cam either, Spypoint Tiny OK......its decent, but I wouldn't buy them again either of them. My old Moultrie is a tank
Not clear here, what is your preference? You like the Moultrie? Just asking, cause I'm only a year in on the trail cam scene myself.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Dune said:
brasso said:
Not clear here, what is your preference? You like the Moultrie? Just asking, cause I'm only a year in on the trail cam scene myself.
Don't know what my preference is, Moultries are good in general so are the Bushnells from what I heard. Read a lot of bad things about Cuddeback.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
The best thing about my Bushnell trophy cam is that you can run it on either 4 or 8 AA batteries. With 8 batteries in it lasts me a full season. Cam goes out month before archery and stays out till end of rifle. Takes good pics too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a taco I got from HGG but must not work well cause all last year not one deer pic. Must of sold me a dud.

·
Registered
355 Posts
NoShow said:
I have a taco I got from HGG but must not work well cause all last year not one deer pic. Must of sold me a dud.
What kind of taco did I sell you! :lmao:
maybe we sabotaged your cam after all the a$$ pics we got on our came from you! :lol:
I'm thinking the return of Osama will happen on your 40th :hunter:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cuddeback. They are not IR model but I paid $200 usd for them. Five years now, no issues. Got a few cool pics. An elk in the Pembina valley. A muley doe in the same area. 3 coyotes I've nicknamed the teammates and if they are seen that is the last time they are seen. And my archery buck that runs past the cam mortally wounded.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. In the end, I went for the tasco 2-pack from cabelas. They aren't the top of the line, but I've seen the pictures from a buddy who has some and they are still pretty good. Plus, they were right for my price point, and in the event that one goes walking I at least have a back-up.

·
Banned
216 Posts
I just bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam (Bone Collector) not happy with it at all, took one back already, the night pictures were total blackouts and even the daytime pics are sort of dark, not nice at all, (set it at 5 pixels).....my Spypoint Tiny blows it out of the water or even my old Moultrie I 40. The second "new" one is out now, I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Matt419 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys. In the end, I went for the tasco 2-pack from cabelas. They aren't the top of the line, but I've seen the pictures from a buddy who has some and they are still pretty good. Plus, they were right for my price point, and in the event that one goes walking I at least have a back-up.
I have a few of the 5mp tascos.When they do take pics or video they are great and do take a nice pic./video.But I find they go into hibernation mode quite often and they will take a pic of you walking away from the camera and one of you walking up to it to pull the sd card....but nothing of the 3 weeks in between although there are fresh tracks all around.They are junk imo but people have had trouble with all brands and the Tascos run on 4AA batterys which is one +.

G

·
brasso said:
I just bought a Bushnell Trophy Cam (Bone Collector) not happy with it at all, took one back already, the night pictures were total blackouts and even the daytime pics are sort of dark, not nice at all, (set it at 5 pixels).....my Spypoint Tiny blows it out of the water or even my old Moultrie I 40. The second "new" one is out now, I'll let you know how it works.
Never had bad pics on my bushnell? Maybe got a bad one?

·
Banned
216 Posts
Fish Camp 24-7 said:
brasso said:
Never had bad pics on my bushnell? Maybe got a bad one?
The second Bone Collector I got it's good.....day or night

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts