Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats you guys thoughts? caught my eye last night at cabelas and its definetly time to retire the wingmaster. The price was about right too. Held a beretta semi auto just for fun and man that gun would be cool lol.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Super nova is a nice gun and if i didn't own a shotgun and had to choose between the super nova and the wingmaster, i'd take the super nova. But if i already owned a wingmaster, i'd just keep it. Not enough pro's to justify the expense of stepping up to the super nova. Now if i was upgrading to a super black eagle, that would be a different story and would be well worth the upgrade from the wingmaster.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chad, you can't go wrong with the Benelli Super Nova. It is the second best shotgun out there for waterfowling behind it's Big Brother the Super Black Eagle II. Unlike your wingmaster the Benelli can shoot Man Shells 3 1/2" and with the recoil system on the stock you hardly feel the kick. As for retiring the wingmaster leave it in your truck you never know when you may need a prybar!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the wingmaster is 25+ years old. And its starting to show its age. already replaced the sliders for the pump. Thanks for the advice guys. Pretty sure im gonna grab it this month.

Chad

·
Registered
653 Posts
My buddy got one this year, he likes it, the only problem it's had was it didn't eject Challanger shells without sticking

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I'd hold off a while and save a few extra rubles for an affordable semi-auto like a Beretta A391. I've gone to a Beretta that I bought off jumper dumper/catalope/mr rig. Been wanting to make the move to a semi years ago and finally did it. All I have to say is that pumps are training guns Chad...time for a big boy gun! :D

Winchester makes a really good semi too! The Super Xs (1 and 2) have very good reputations. I imagine the Super X3 will be just as good!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been shooting a benelli nova for the last 3 seasons and love it. no problems what so ever, and is a great feeling shot gun to shoot. ive shot everything under the sun from 2.75 skeet loads to 3.5 mag loads, from cheapy challenger to the "rich boy" premium ammo with out issue. Upgraded from an 870 express and haven't looked back. other than a few minor physical differences, i believe the nova and super nova are functionally very similar so one only assume with putting "super" in front of nova it would be even better(joke). If your looking to stay with a pump (which i was), a benelli super nova, or nova would be a great choice from my experience.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Take a look at the Weatherby SA series... I got a SA-08 20GA and love it... Its pretty much a beretta for less than half the money...

But... You know my feelings about the 870's!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Semi or pump I am not sure. I like the camo models but wunder how they feel in the cold and wet. They feel like they could be slippery. Most wood stocks have a very poitive grip feel in the checkering, that I like. This is my second reply, first one much longer but lost. Happens a lot very frustrating.

·
Registered
59 Posts
eldiablo said:
Forget semi autos buy a o/u 2 shots is all you ever need
To buy any good over/under shotgun you are looking to drop at least $2500. They get beat up in the duck boats and pits, that is the reason I bought my SBii and use my Browning over under for trap or upland game.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the super nova would pump WAY better then my 870. you cant even pump it with gloves on. it sucks. Honestly thinkin about this gun lol. My boss is like blah blah blah 10 gauge this 10 gauge that. but I think the pump will do for now

·
Registered
59 Posts
10 gauge are are a thing of the the past once the 3 1/2" shells came out. I had a 10 gauge for 2 years, they we better than any 3" gun out there but the weight of them were so heavy to Absorb the kick. The super nova is way better you can use it for trap chicken ducks and geese, all you need is to change shells. 10 gauge shells are hard to find and cost a way to much. 10 gauge is only good for sky busting geese, they are for hunters who can't decoy birds in close!

·
Registered
244 Posts
dmeats44 said:
Chad, you can't go wrong with the Benelli Super Nova. It is the second best shotgun out there for waterfowling behind it's Big Brother the Super Black Eagle II. Unlike your wingmaster the Benelli can shoot Man Shells 3 1/2" and with the recoil system on the stock you hardly feel the kick. As for retiring the wingmaster leave it in your truck you never know when you may need a prybar!!

I've seen a LOT more semi-autos go down in the marsh than I have have pumps, especially Wingmasters. This includes a lot of Black Eagles and some Berettas as well. In the last 2 weeks I have seen an Ithica semi and a Beretta semi go down to a single shot. I had my model 37 Ithica with me so at least one time the other hunter had a gun with more than one shot to shoot. Keep the 870 with you, cased, and if you run into trouble with the new one, pull out the old one.

If you are selling the 870, let me know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
jimmypic said:
dmeats44 said:

I've seen a LOT more semi-autos go down in the marsh than I have have pumps, especially Wingmasters. This includes a lot of Black Eagles and some Berettas as well. In the last 2 weeks I have seen an Ithica semi and a Beretta semi go down to a single shot. I had my model 37 Ithica with me so at least one time the other hunter had a gun with more than one shot to shoot. Keep the 870 with you, cased, and if you run into trouble with the new one, pull out the old one.

If you are selling the 870, let me know.
It does not matter what gun you have semi or pump if you don't take care of it, and clean it after each use they will act up. My SBII shoots really dirty i clean it after every use and have never had a problem with it. The one good thing about the SBII is you can strip them in the blind with no tools if they act up. It comes down to how you look after you gun. If you watch any of the goose or duck DVD's out there 80% of them are shooting a Benelli from Phill Robertson and the duck commanders to Fred Zink to Jeff Foiles" Once he can hunt again". They all shot Benelli they are not going to get sponsored by a gun manufacturer who makes sh!t guns! The last thing they need when shooting a show is a gun that [email protected]@ked up!

·
Registered
244 Posts
To each his own. I can pull apart either of the pumps I use in a boat in the dark.

I have to admit, my 870 only gets cleaned (not a thorough cleaning) once a season and once after (very thorough).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I said before the gun is 20+ years old and just needs to be used as a back up. The semi vs pump thing doesnt make much difference too me. I have no problems pumpin the gun lol.

Gonna do some research before I bite the bullet on a new one.

Are all 870s wingmasters?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts