Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have been using ballistic tip ammunition for a number of years but am constantly looking for an improved bullet.

Any info would be much appreciated

-kms

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Only experience I have with the TSX is out of my GF's .243... Very accurate bullet... She made a nice poke on a yote last winter and when I walked up it looked good, until I flipped it over to the exit side, WOW!!! It made a mess, dinner plate sized hole on the exit which is something I never expected out of a solid copper bullet... Hoping they will do the trick for deer!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use Hornady GMX in my 7-08 (yes not a Barnes tsx but very similar idea n they shot better out of that rifle) for deer a few times, and although probably way more bullet than I needed, it is very accurate in that rifle and worked excellent on deer. I'm sure that the Barnes will do well for you if they shoot well in your rifle.

Maybe not an "improved" bullet over Nosler BT but Sierra Gamekings have proven to be the most accurate in most of my rifles and you shouldn't need any more of a bullet for deer. BUT it sure is fun to try something different, I often get bit by that bug hahaha.

·
Registered
530 Posts
if you use a ballistic tip on deer be prepared for lots of meat damage if you take a chest shot. These kinds of bullet are designed to transfer all there energy on impact and usually fragmenting to create massive trauma. They work great for neck and head shots. Also if you are using a smaller caliber eg 243 the chances of a clean kill on a large animal with a chest shot get pretty slim. ok they will literally blow a hole in one side but nothing or very little of the bullet's energy will make it to the vitals. They are a great varmint round though

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
brettwilby said:
if you use a ballistic tip on deer be prepared for lots of meat damage if you take a chest shot. These kinds of bullet are designed to transfer all there energy on impact and usually fragmenting to create massive trauma. They work great for neck and head shots. Also if you are using a smaller caliber eg 243 the chances of a clean kill on a large animal with a chest shot get pretty slim. ok they will literally blow a hole in one side but nothing or very little of the bullet's energy will make it to the vitals. They are a great varmint round though
The Barnes Triple Shock X bullet, or TSX, is not a ballistic tip style bullet. There is however a Polymer Tipped Triple Shock X bullet called the TTSX. I've been using the older TSX since they came out in 2003, on game weighing 20 pounds, Pronghorn and Deer, on up to Cape Buffalo and have never had a failure. They shoot well in my rifles, and do what they're supposed to....put the animal down quickly. They'll usually expand to about
1 1/2 times their diameter. I've experienced over 90% passthrough shots with these bullets, which I really like, because a passthrough shot leaves two bleeding holes, making followup tracking easier. I don't think there's a better bullet made for big game.

Here's a couple of links with information about both bullet styles.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/partner-pa ... -x-bullet/

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/c ... sx-bullet/

http://www.nps.gov/pinn/naturescience/u ... ts_Say.pdf

·
Registered
410 Posts
Great bullet. check out some YouTube videos one em. They penetrate like crazy and you can usually get away with a slightly lighter bullet than you would typically use. These bullets will not fragment, i think i read they have an average weight retention of 99% when recovered from an animal. The polymer tip they added on the TTSX simply helps the bullet open up a bit more at longer distances/ lower velocities.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's the best bullet there is. I use them for elk and moose. I use vld's for deer. I wouldn't use anything else for the big stuff or if your shooting a small cal, like a .243

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Got a couple boxes of 130 grain for my .270 for whitetail. Excited to try them out

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is why you use Barnes. These are pictures of a 100gr 25-06 bullet(ttsx). Hit the deer square in the front of the brisket and recovered it by the tail when skinning it out. Bullet measures over .5" in diameter and is over 99 grains intact.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yeah, we shot some into water jugs that were lined up - then into a pile of soft sand - both slugs were recovered and looked almost exactly like the one above - would post a pic, but no need. unreal how they hold together. I want to try the water jug thing at 300yds with a slower moving 338f and see how they expand and penetrate... the 7-08 slug was sitting in the bottom of jug 7 jugs at 100
And I gotta say, the jugs sure are entertaining when hit at 1000yds!!!!

Ever see the mythbusters episode where they fired either a 308 or 3006 into a water tank? it went only a couple/three feet in water...I never would have guessed that water would slow them that fast

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was lucky to recover the TTSX from that animal. Most of the time these bullets pass thru but do their job. I had been using ballistic tip 115gr and some factory Federal stuff but was getting terrible performance. I know the ballistic tips are not the best choice of a hunting bullet. I am totally sold on these bullets. Some people think they are too expensive but when you factor in the other costs of a hunting trip, the few extra bucks for them is really no big deal. Accubonds are good as well but I think these are the ultimate-just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Here are a couple of photos of the 400 grain X bullet from my Cape Buffalo. The recovered bullet weighed 398.1 grains. One shot from my 416 Rigby at 160 yards +- and it dropped on the spot. Bull was broadside, and the bullet hit him in the left shoulder, traveled through the lung, center punched the heart, went through the right lung, and stopped just under the hide of the right side.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts