Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm driving down waverly the other day and at a set of lights I see a newer chevy truck with a huge bag in the box of the truck as I get closer the bag reads Soy bean deer feed. Bag says it weighs 1560lbs on the side of the truck there was a decal said (northland hunting and fishing) My question is our we allowed to bait/feed deer I thought that was illegal. Now I know theres a very small chance the guy was taking the deer feed to sask but I dought that very much

·
Registered
287 Posts
Could be going to onterio, sask, aboriginal, or be stalking up for spring bear as prices for feed will continue to go up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Where I hunt there are tons of residential homes with feeders set up for the deer to eat, the people love seeing the deer year round in their yards. I believe that's legal because they don't hunt over it. Stupid part is that it's allowed in that case but not in a hunting scenario. You'd think feeding deer would be illegal period but its only when it comes to hunting. I may be wrong and if I am there are a whole hell of a lot of illegal feeders around. As far as I know there is nothing illegal for a guy that has no interest in hunting and doesn't allow it on his property to feed deer all the food he wants, I see it all over where I hunt..

·
Registered
653 Posts
Bears aren't into soy beans that's why it's so good for deer bait. My guess is that that truck was heading to Ontario.
There's a difference between feeding deer and baiting, one is to bring them in to look at them and even help them make it through the winter. Baiting is to bring them in to hunt them.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Feeding is only illegal in western Manitoba, it says in the guide its not "encouraged" in the rest of the province. I believe its to slow the spread of CWD.

I read a piece by Cody Robbins in Big Buck magazine awhile back where he was defending feeding and baiting deer, I thought it was really good, but the one thing that I really got out of it was the off-season feeding (after hunting season until spring) was helping to keep some of the deer alive. The bucks are in rough shape after the rut and are heading into winter, this gives them the boost they need to make it through the winter (and be there next hunting season.......).

I actually am considering doing some off season feeding, start in December and keep doing it until spring, after that the deer can feed anywhere they like, likely far from where I'm hunting in fall. But it might depend on how a winter goes, if its a "soft winter" then they don't need the help.

(probably get my hand slapped by Andre for this post (where is a "whistler" icon when you need it))

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There are areas of the province where baiting deer should be legal... Take GHA 26 for example... Most of it is very rough country and deer numbers are low, but there is a push to have them taken to help moose populations... It would increase harvest and help the control of the population... I've been hoping for a change in the regs for up here... I could hunt all season and maybe not even see a deer where I am... I would also like to see a reg change on food plots as well, making it legal for guys to put the time in to improve their property and still be able to hunt it for their hard work... Its no different than hunting a field... IMO

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes Patty this would work. But this is best suited for private land, which 26 has very little off. On public land you would go through all the trouble and expense only to find others hunting it one day. There always seems to be a fly in the ointment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Public land is perfect for baiting. There is way more land than hunters could ever use. People trespass all the time so private land isn't immune either. I would support baiting anywhere in Manitoba but at the least in remote or rough GHA. Though, I doubt that MB Conservation would legalize it because of the CWD scare.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Patty said:
There are areas of the province where baiting deer should be legal... Take GHA 26 for example... Most of it is very rough country and deer numbers are low, but there is a push to have them taken to help moose populations... It would increase harvest and help the control of the population... I've been hoping for a change in the regs for up here... I could hunt all season and maybe not even see a deer where I am... I would also like to see a reg change on food plots as well, making it legal for guys to put the time in to improve their property and still be able to hunt it for their hard work... Its no different than hunting a field... IMO
I am not picking on any one persons opinion here, but if the deer population is this low already, how are they hurting the Moose population. I have had this conversation with members of Mb conservation and never recieved a answer to my satisfaction.
Patty, if you allowed baiting in an area with so few deer, you would wipe out the whole population very quickly. What purpose would that serve other than to reduce yet another Manitoba hunting opportunity?

By the way I'm all for food plots. Totally different than baiting IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
WTD are essentially new to Manitoba having arrived at the turn of the 1900's. Since then their range has expanded as far north as Ponton. They are common around The Pas where they can be hunted with good success.

In other words, our deer herd is so fine that it continues to expand its range and establish itself in sustainable numbers in that range. Thousands are killed by vehicles. We have an unknown subsistence harvest. There are less licensed hunters than ever, more or at least as many deer as ever, more areas to hunt and liberal harvest limits. Why would a government work towards artificially increasing deer numbers when there are clearly more than enough deer to go around AND sustain the herd?

A couple of harsh winters and predation by coyotes brought the numbers down a bit. Another mild winter like the last one and deer numbers will be right back up there.

Personally, I don't see any biological reason to plant food plots or allow baiting. I find those concepts to be elitist as the proponents invariably work towards growing bigger bucks, not increase deer numbers.

Is hunting for the animal so difficult (new and improved tree stands, ground blinds, elevated shooting platforms) that we must now plant food plots to attract deer for harvest?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry Patty but I have to disagree with you about gha 26. I hunt it as well and all it takes is a bit scouting and you will no trouble finding deer. Lots of deer in 26 you just have wander off the beaten path for bait. Personally I like to hunt around creek edges where I am look for natural funnels where the deer have to pass through.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also hunt 26, and have not had that much difficulty filling a couple tags every year. Now if you want to get a big deer, that becomes more luck then anything as you could have the deer walk 50yards away from you and you won't even know its there

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Oh, I'm a way up on the north border... I do see more deer the further south I go usually, but up here its a tough gig!!! I'm bound and determined this year tho!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Patty said:
What area's are you guys hunting??? Not looking for GPS cords, but N S E W???
Have you ever seen a deer around Bisset? But you can shoot two in 17a right?

Andre, since the deer are actually an invasive spieces, why not make areas like 26 a baiting zone with a very liberal bag limit on does?
Meat hunters paradise.

Would that not also help create a buffer zone to keep the deer from pushing farther north?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The confusing part to Manitoba hunters is that the stores are allowed to sell "deer bait" which is misleading. It gives the impression that you are allowed to bait. In my opinion, it should be regulated like real doe urine. No one can possess it in Manitoba. An officer may not allow someone to feed deer anywhere in the province if he determines it is unsafe for the public or the animals (i.e. feeding by a road and causes vehicle collisions). There are parts of the province that are at risk for CWD, therefore it is illegal to feed all together. I don't agree with feeding deer to get them through the winter. Deer have survived many years on their own and should be left alone. Feeding is unnatural and may be more negative then positive.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sled-in said:
Patty said:
What area's are you guys hunting??? Not looking for GPS cords, but N S E W???
Have you ever seen a deer around Bisset? But you can shoot two in 17a right?

Andre, since the deer are actually an invasive spieces, why not make areas like 26 a baiting zone with a very liberal bag limit on does?
Meat hunters paradise.

Would that not also help create a buffer zone to keep the deer from pushing farther north?

Very few and very far between... The north end of 26 is, as tough a deer hunt as can be found... I fully anticipate to hunt right til the end, but have doubts about my success... There is no pattern, they eat twigs and berries, if there are wolves close the deer are gone... baiting would give a guy a chance, even with baiting there would be no guarantee that deer would use it regularly... If they became easy targets for us the would be easy targets for the wolves, coyotes, lynx, bears, cougars, etc that are known to roam these parts... Honestly I think I have a better shot at winning the lottery than patterning deer in my area... But I like a challenge!!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
mistyriver said:
The confusing part to Manitoba hunters is that the stores are allowed to sell "deer bait" which is misleading. It gives the impression that you are allowed to bait. In my opinion, it should be regulated like real doe urine. No one can possess it in Manitoba. An officer may not allow someone to feed deer anywhere in the province if he determines it is unsafe for the public or the animals (i.e. feeding by a road and causes vehicle collisions). There are parts of the province that are at risk for CWD, therefore it is illegal to feed all together. I don't agree with feeding deer to get them through the winter. Deer have survived many years on their own and should be left alone. Feeding is unnatural and may be more negative then positive.

Many retail stores still sell real deer urine... They can, its not illegal for them to do so, It is illegal when you have them in your possession while hunting... I have never worried about CWD and never will, its been around as long as the deer have, and they are still here!!! The CWD kills that go on to the west are a Joke IMO and a useless slaughter of deer!!!

[glow=red:24u83onx]Andre or Chris[/glow:24u83onx],

It is legal to bait wildlife right??? so long as you don't hunt within 800m of a bait or anything posted by a natural resource officer as a bait??? this is out of the regs cocerning Cervids (deer)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Patty I hunt areas of 26 around Bird Lake. I've hunted as far north as the trans licence and never had a problem finding deer. Though I'll admit I've never tried up around Bissett for deer. From working up that way over the years though I have to admit I have not seen allot or deer up there.
Good luck to you this season.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts