Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard today that first nations are having a great hunt this year in 26 ,ALL NIGHT LONG!!,Stewart's of the land,way too go............I don't get it

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
As a resident of 26, I can pretty much guarantee that they aren't having a great hunt... As far as the all night long, Game Wardens are off the clock around 6pm or so up here... They don't get paid overtime... They usually stick around for a couple days after the close of the early season in 17A and then gone again until the start of late season... This is due to cut backs from what I understand and the fact that there is a shortage of officers province wide... I should also add that 26 only has a partial closure for treaty hunting... There is quite a bit of country that is still fair game... I wish it was a complete closure myself, just to simplify things...

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
There were supposed to be two extra CO's hired for 26 and the Ducks for enforcement according to the new moose management initiative. Where would that officer be stationed in 26, south or north Nopiming or both? Andre?
Also, isn't night hunting illegal even under subsistence rights?
AGW, where do you get this info?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I totally agree patty. Wish would be a full closure everywhere for everyone, this way we might see area 26 re open in our life time.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Snomad, night hunting is illegal for everyone, but sadly it does happen quite a bit up here... And to be totally honest, I feel for the few that need to do it to sustain their families... If you have no other means and your not wasting it the time of day it is taken really doesn't matter... But there are always bad apples in a bunch, those few that go overboard because they can and give all sustenance hunters a bad rap... And there is just as many non-sustenance idiots around up here too...

A complete closure would definitely help, but at the same time there would be more spotlighting because of it... If they shut it down completely you can almost guarantee that there will be little to no enforcement up here (gooberment will assume complete closure= no need)... Its not a one solution fix for sure, but I think its good that all the concerned parties are doing there part to try and help make things better... No moose is not a good situation for anybody!!! JMO

·
Registered
389 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think first nations people can night hunt and discharge a firearm, as long as it is in an unoccupied area. Such as crown land with no people,buildings or livestock. Maybe Andre could chime in on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Info came strait out of the areas office,and I can't believe for a minute that a C.O. Would just shutter down at 6 I'm sure those guys go the extra mile when need be,I'm pretty sure (not actually knowing) that OT is paid when applicable ,any way I heard this info figured I'd post it hoping one day WE who love the out doors and enjoy the hunt could some way stand together and make things right.-AL

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Jan, one position went to Swan River and the other to Pine Falls/Bissett I believe. There are 3 officers stationed in Pine Falls/Bissett but one might be transferred recently which means the position may be vacant until someone transfers into it. The Swan River position is presently vacant but I think will be filled soon.

Overtime is a very sensitive subject in government right now. It almost does not exist for work outside of parks safety and security and forest fires. TIP LINE calls may qualify for overtime but call outs originating from persons who call us directly are all but denied. Hours of work must be planned to eliminate the chance of overtime. Overtime must be approved by a senior supervisor in advance. In a nutshell, OT is almost non-existent. Many officers now consider this a job and not a vocation. Sad but true.

As for 1st nations exercising subsistence rights after dark, courts have ruled that in areas where there is little "danger" from bullets striking people, property, buildings, etc. 1st nations people are allowed to night light. That a 1st nations person was shot by another night lighting 1st nations persons a couple years ago along the Translicense road meant nothing to the courts. Licensed hunters, game wardens, hikers, campers, etc. in remote areas are not reason enough to outlaw night lighting. :(

G

·
Was early season last week for moose approximatly 100 miles north of ldb and the co's flew in and checked us. Boys were doing there job. Sad that no overtime and can't blame them for shutting down at the end of the work day. How many hours can a person donate for there job? Been there done that and it gets old after a while.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Andre, I didn't think it was legal for anyone to night light... Actually have a few Treaty friends/coworkers that don't do it because they says its not worth the risk...

The OT thing sucks... I wish that we would see more policing of our wildlife and waters in this area... This summer marks the first time I have been stopped by CO's while fishing up here... Just seen The CO truck rolling into town here @ 9:00pm, so I looks like they may be using their time wisely... :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
André said:
Licensed hunters, game wardens, hikers, campers, etc. in remote areas are not reason enough to outlaw night lighting. :(
So when one of us takes a bullet, someone far smart then us will deem it as a unsafe practice. :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
night hunting is totally legal in England and no one gets shot by high power rifle hunters, most incidents are with air rifles. when you think the population of the UK is 60,000,000 you are pretty safe in canada

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is a very sad time for me. One of the main reasons I bought my cottage in area 26 was because of the general moose season. This cost me a small fortune. With the low numbers, and cancelation of the season and now the metis hunting rights thing. I feel that the moose numbers will be gone forever. The area has a high native and metis population and the moose will not withstand this amout of pressure. Some time ago at one of the moose management meetings an old fellow said, that soon if you to see a moose in area 26 it will have to be in a PICTURE. How true he was.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ldb pikester said:
This is a very sad time for me. One of the main reasons I bought my cottage in area 26 was because of the general moose season. This cost me a small fortune. With the low numbers, and cancelation of the season and now the metis hunting rights thing. I feel that the moose numbers will be gone forever. The area has a high native and metis population and the moose will not withstand this amout of pressure. Some time ago at one of the moose management meetings an old fellow said, that soon if you to see a moose in area 26 it will have to be in a PICTURE. How true he was.

The 'new' Metis harvesting rights do not apply to GHA 26.

The heaviest travelled portions of GHA 26 for moose are under closure. There will be a benefit from the province's efforts but it may not be immediately felt. I may be overly optimistic there, but for now I will continue to believe that the status quo will change.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That will turn out to be a joke, age and experience should have taught you that. The people in charge like to screw you a lttle at a time so it don't feel so bad. They just tell you what you want to hear. Income tax is a temperary thing to pay for the war. Some people beleived that one too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts