Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Are they gone?

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  jimmypic 
#1 ·
:cry:
The city bird numbers have dropped a lot this week. Are people still seeing flocks in fields? I want to hunt this weekend and I'm getting worried.

#7 ·
bulldog007 said:
Colder weather on the way for the weekend so I would not give them more than a week or two at best.
Totally agree....noticed this morning(here south of the dity)SEVERAL flocks,way up high,and heading south...they were not doing their usual flight out to a field to feed,they were heading south!

#14 ·
Still lots of geese using our corn fields between Stonewall and Winnipeg. Two friends got their limit by 9 yesterday. The birds are a bit decoy shy this time of year, you just have to work a little harder. Some of the best hunts happen this time of year. There is also alot of BIG birds showing up now.

#15 ·
I hunted a corn and bean field last weekend that had wave after wave of geese come in and flare off. Being so close to the city, I thought they were decoy-wise. So yesterday AM, I laid out without decoys to see if I could just get some coming in on their own. Well yesterday they wanted the wheat field behind me. I managed to get one passing by low enough.
Fickel birds. Worse than women. :lol:
I have great fields but am uderexperienced, I guess. I didn't bring my mallard decoys but I might try that next. At first light last weekend and this there were some flocks circling the field.

#16 ·
Chixfishing said:
I hunted a corn and bean field last weekend that had wave after wave of geese come in and flare off. Being so close to the city, I thought they were decoy-wise. So yesterday AM, I laid out without decoys to see if I could just get some coming in on their own. Well yesterday they wanted the wheat field behind me. I managed to get one passing by low enough.
Fickel birds. Worse than women. :lol:
I have great fields but am uderexperienced, I guess. I didn't bring my mallard decoys but I might try that next. At first light last weekend and this there were some flocks circling the field.
Were you south of the perimeter? Towards Lasalle. I just did last night and this morning ditch pass shooting and have a freezer full. There were some guys in a field with decoys and they had very little shooting. I was watching in binos and the geese wanted nothing to do with them. Millions of mallards around there also!

#21 ·
I would suggest Riverton or the west side of lake mb. Was west of lake mb a couple weeks back for the first time and could have limited if it wasn't for a faulty gun. (my own fault for not cleaning between shoots) This time of year if you find a good field the birds should be going back and forth, water to field all day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.