Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on my way out to my deer stand on friday eve, i was walking down a trail on my hunting property and had a nice ruffed grouse jump up and sit on a fallen tree...so i pulled out one of my arrows with a field-tip. The grouse was in some thick cover and was walking off along the tree...i had one small opening to shoot through at about 12 yards...just as it entered the "shooting lane" i released the arrow...it just ticked a small tree but still struck the grouse, dead before it hit the ground! It was delicious! :archery:

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish_Killer said:
...so i pulled out one of my arrows with a field-tip.
Before somone points it out...i should have used my "small game" head or one of my broadheads to take the grouse. I have an arrow with a "field-tip" that i sometimes shoot outta my stand before i get down after a morning hunt, just for practice. I was in the wrong by using the field-tip to take the grouse and it won't happen again. I have read the regs. and i just got caught up in the moment and pulled the wrong arrow. :oops:

·
Registered
460 Posts
i read this the other day and it seems to me you only need a broadhead and 40# draw for turkeys. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chixfishing said:
i read this the other day and it seems to me you only need a broadhead and 40# draw for turkeys. Am I wrong?
Bows may be used during the upland game bird, wild turkey or
migratory game bird seasons. A bowhunter hunting wild turkey
must not be in possession of a long bow or recurved bow requiring
less than 18.1 kg (40 lbs.) draw weight at 71 cm (28 in.) draw; or a
compound bow set at less than 18.1 kg (40 lbs.) peak draw weight;
or an arrow using a broadhead point less than 2.2 cm (7/8 in.) in
width.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes. And it says nothing about requirement for the other species. So does this mean field points are OK?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, i know the regs. can be worded awkwardly, so i just figured that i would need to use some type of broadhead for grouse too. I would much rather use a "small game" head for grouse...a field tip might not be as lethal as a broadhead on a grouse...i know a grouse isn't all that tough but a gut shot grouse could possibly be lost with a field tip shot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice bird. Sure is fun to arrow those little guys. Makes an evening of less than succesful deer hunting worth while.

Allan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts