Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring bear hunting is around the corner and this is a long shot but what the hell. I hunt a lot( deer, elk, moose, caribou), mostly archery but also rifle or ML. One thing that I've always wanted to do is shoot a bear, preferably with my bow. But I don't really know where to start and then there is the time issue and the gas costs are brutal. So I figured I'd throw it out there and ask if anyone with experience would like to team up and help a newbie out and help me get a bear, and at the same time I could help offset your costs and time and effort. I'm not talking a free ride, I have all the equipment, quad, truck, trailer, etc just not the experience. I'll happily share in the baiting effort and gas costs. I'm not out to become a bear hunter or shoot a record book bear, I just want to shoot one and cross it off my bucket list. I have a nice boat that I could take you out for some fishing to return the favor. I hunt and I know first hand all the time, effort and costs that go into so I'll pull my weight and also really appreciate it. PM me if you are interested . Thanks guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
what area are you wanting to hunt? I've shot a lot of bears with the bow, haven't done it for a while but could certainly point you in the right direction.....still have a few good spots too that you could use or I could go with you and help find a spot, set you up properly. what are you planning on using for bait?? i gots ideas.....heck might even set up a bait site for Colin All Fish, he wants to shoot a bear with his bow

·
Registered
123 Posts
even got a barrel you could have

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live just outside the North Perimeter in West St. Paul, so I was hoping for something in the northern/eastern areas. Closer to the city the better, but I'm flexible. As for bait, I really have no idea what to use or where to get it that's why I was hoping to hook up with someone that already bear hunts but would like some help doing the work and someone to split the costs. Seems like it could be a win win situation for someone. If you are thinking of trying to get something set up for yourself and Colin let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've used it all as far as bait goes.....fish, beavers, meat, donuts, bread, popcorn, fryer grease and the list goes on. A good stink bait gets the bears to your bait site, beavers work good but the best I find is fish remains. Keep them frozen now until required, once your site is set up, put your remains in a black garbage bag, tie it up on a tree limb that the bears can't reach and just cut a tiny hole in the bottom. Once the sun hits it for a while, it will get nice and juicy and stinky and start dripping on the ground attracting the bears and also the bears will track it back attracting ore bears.

The best bait I found to feed the bears was horse feed I bought at the local feed mill....60/30/10....it's 60% oats, 30%corn, 10% barley and 1% molasses. Drill a series of 1" holes in your barrel (I have one here if you want) and attach a good chain c/w swivel to the barrel and attach that to a tree. The bears will roll it around to get the feed to pour out, lasts a long time, not like other baits where you have to refill every 2nd day, keeps your costs down. I also like to pour fryer grease all around the barrel, bears walk in it and track it back in the bush creating a scent trail, pulls other bears in.

A good spot to set up is near water, when a bear eats, it needs water so he will feed for a bit then go for water, then return. Another good way to keep them in is kool aid, fill up a pail and they will drink the kool aid before the water. Jello powder also works awesome to attract them, jello has a strong smell. I also used to coat the inside of a 5 gallon pail with honey and then jello powder. Set it at an angle to your treestand and the bear will just bed down in front of the pail and stick his head inside. Once his head is inside, he can't see you draw back and WHAMMO, right thru the lungs.

Like I said, whatever you decide, I'm open to show you how to set up. Done it for years and kinda miss it but don't have a lot of time myself to hunt bears anymore. Got my own quads so if you need help, I'm here.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i have 2500 acres near Anola with established bait sites pm me if you want to hunt with me i was hoping to get a Hunting buddy who loves to hunt as much as me i wasn't going to hunt Bear this year but if you want to we can i get all my bait free so just split the gas and you can take a bear i don't want one this year i still have a big boy in the freezer soon to be a rug. going shed hunting when the snow clears so that would be the best time to go take a look and through a few donuts in my barrels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to manitobahuntingforum.com community. I've been out and about in the Sandilands bearhunting, and passed on a couple really pretty small to midsize bears. Now, with the backcountry ban, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in another hunting partner in an area that is open. I hunt rifle as that's all I have...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I just want to post a comment about this thread. It's people like you who'll help make this the best hunting website in Manitoba, or perhaps all of Canada. A member reached out for help, and in really short order, other members came to his aid, offering all sorts of great advice, information, assistance, and help. I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you. That is the sort of thing that's going to help MHF grow. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Jabaroo said:
Hi all. I'm new to manitobahuntingforum.com community. I've been out and about in the Sandilands bearhunting, and passed on a couple really pretty small to midsize bears. Now, with the backcountry ban, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in another hunting partner in an area that is open. I hunt rifle as that's all I have...
Jabaroo: first of all, I'd like to welcome you to MHF. If I may, I'd like to suggest that you start another thread, just so your post doesn't get lost among this one. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts