Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wondering if anyone else uses the canvas wall tents as their hunting camp when out for a remote hunt. We use them when we go for our week long moose hunt. We heat with a small wood stove and it becomes quite a cozy home.

Almost don't want to leave by the end of the week!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Re: Anyone else using Prospector wall tents for hunting camp

:pictures:

I'd like to do something like that for winter camping / icefishing in the backcountry in winter.
Don't need one for moose hunting as we have a cabin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

We've used them for winter camping and they are very comfortable. The only issue comes in when one person doesn't get up for their middle of the night stove fill and the stove goes out, it tends to be a bit chilly lol

·
Registered
236 Posts

We bought our first one in 86,and have used them since....a little work to set up,but so worth it once you are all done,very cozy....with the growing #'s of family members interested we bought our second a few yrs back.
One good hint that we learnt is with the real cool temps,you get frost build up all over the ceiling(dripping on everything),now we throw insulated tarps over the whole roof,and works great for keeping frost buildup away,AND holding the heat more.

waterhen81 said:
Yep,that's how I always feel,but that shower is sooooo good to look forward to.

·
Registered
3 Posts

deeker said:
We bought our first one in 86,and have used them since....a little work to set up,but so worth it once you are all done,very cozy....with the growing #'s of family members interested we bought our second a few yrs back.
One good hint that we learnt is with the real cool temps,you get frost build up all over the ceiling(dripping on everything),now we throw insulated tarps over the whole roof,and works great for keeping frost buildup away,AND holding the heat more.

waterhen81 said:
Yep,that's how I always feel,but that shower is sooooo good to look forward to.
Hey deeker are you doing the meditation deer hunt this year? I seasonal at big whiteshell and probally crossed paths with you as i always hunt down meditation road..... mind you im a million miles in the bush and over rocks all day.

·
Registered
304 Posts

We used to use prospector tents for moose hunting, but eventually they deteriorated and needed replacing. We switched to tarp garages and they work well. I'm not sure what they'd be like putting up and taking down in extreme cold, but in the fall moose season there is no problem. They come with poles, and we bought a bunch of wing nuts to use instead of the regular nuts for assembly. They go up and come down quick, and there is less worry if you put them away wet/damp....and they're cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts

Probably lighter to fly too. Good idea.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Definitely lighter than traditional wall tents.

·
Registered
32 Posts

bigwhiskey said:
We used to use prospector tents for moose hunting, but eventually they deteriorated and needed replacing. We switched to tarp garages and they work well. I'm not sure what they'd be like putting up and taking down in extreme cold, but in the fall moose season there is no problem. They come with poles, and we bought a bunch of wing nuts to use instead of the regular nuts for assembly. They go up and come down quick, and there is less worry if you put them away wet/damp....and they're cheaper.

I saw pics of my buddy's brother's moose camp. They used a tarp garage also. They built a wooden end wall with a door, window, and chimney. My buddy said it worked great for the week he was out there.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Well, being part Scots and the other part a cheap prince, we used a big grain tarp, lots of poly ( about 6 mil ) and cut our support poles out of the bush to make up our Moose Camp. Pretty much weather proof if designed right.....lots of room, comfy, and very portable. If I can find some pics. I will post them, but I think you get the idea.

A few rolls of duct tape to accessorize if necessary.........!!!

If the location is a good one, we leave the infra structure in place, just make sure the poly is removed or D.N.R. will have something to say about it.

Good Hunting !!

·
Registered
236 Posts

bulldog007 said:
Well, being part Scots and the other part a cheap prince, we used a big grain tarp, lots of poly ( about 6 mil ) and cut our support poles out of the bush to make up our Moose Camp. Pretty much weather proof if designed right.....lots of room, comfy, and very portable. If I can find some pics. I will post them, but I think you get the idea.

A few rolls of duct tape to accessorize if necessary.........!!!
Good idea,actually we did something similar to that for two yrs prior to buying our tents in 1986,made lean-to's,using long timbers,and tarps.....just remember if you are using propane for heat,cut some vents near the ceiling,we almost killed ourselves on our first night,wasnt thinking,DUH!
Ihuntoomuch(just noticed this now) we probably did cross path,we usually venture way off the rd to Meditation mind you,but yes we camped just off the rd about half way down. Nope,not hunting there this year,giving the deer a chance to rebound back,not much for sign of them last fall due to the fricken wolves EVERYWHERE night and day.
Gonna pop a Big buck right in my back yard with the Muzzle in December here in Sec. 33,will miss the camp though :(...thinking maybe Nopaming next yr??

·
Registered
28 Posts

Looking forward to seeing what you 'pop' in your back yard! You've seen some dandies, and with this year's regs, should be interesting!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hey rancidjo!! I considered using a garage tarp for a hunting tent but I am concerned that fabric is not fire resistant.
How did yours work out? How about an update?
Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts

What's the cost/availability of a prospectors tent?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Prospector tents are abailable at Cabellas for about $950. depending on the size. The also have a "Bighorn III" tent ( 12' x 14') for the same price. It has good reviews and I am concidering purchasing it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

This is what we used ..........three guys for about ten days...........works great.........lots of room for storage, sleeping, cooking.

Everything we take in with us, comes out with us & we leave the frame intact just in case we come back to the same place again.

Very portable, inexpensive and quite functional.

Attachments

Reactions: Lars

·
Registered
32 Posts

hsutton said:
Hey rancidjo!! I considered using a garage tarp for a hunting tent but I am concerned that fabric is not fire resistant.
How did yours work out? How about an update?
Thanks
I did not use a garage tent. Only saw pics and stories from my buddy. They had made one entire end wall out of wood, including door, window, and chimney. Trying to keep chimney away from tarp, for fire prevention. Car garage tents would not be any less fire resistant then other tarps or poly. Choice is yours

·
Registered
146 Posts

We used a tarp garage also for moose hunting...and it is very hard to take down in cold weather...one day while hunting it was around 20 degrees, shot a moose, took it to a locker plant...over night there was an ice storm and woke up to -18 and snow and ice on everything... :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks! Fish_Killer. I guess removing all those wingnuts resulted in frozen fingers under those conditions. But then, at -18 with sleet and snow makes for very uncomfortable conditions for whatever you're doing.
I just picked up a Bighorn III tent with vestibule, floor and roof protecter from Cabellas. The reviews are very positive but non mentioned the conditions that you indicated.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts