Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good load for my muzzleloader using 275 gr. .44/50 cal QT bullets from
precision rifles.
did anyone had the chance to actually kill deer with them?
i'm getting 2.5"-4" inch groups at 175 yards with them in front of 100 gr loose T7.
do you think this load would be lethal to 200 yard? or should i limit myself to closer range?

thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love the QT's!!! I shot 250gr QT's over 110gr of american pioneer out of my genisis, under 1 1/2" @ 100yds... Bullet performance was great as well, I recovered three of four bullets, from quartering away shots, and the one that went through was dead broadside and the deer went about ten steps... The QT's are great bullets and I wish I would have stuck with them this year!!! I would have no problem shooting a calm broadside deer at 200yds if needed with the QT bullets... But as always the closer the better!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
110 grains of 777 gives a 200 yard energy of 1244 ft-lbs. I would guess you would be real close to 1200 ft-lbs with 100 grains. That is lethal if you can keep those groups.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the chance to test the QT yesterday.
the shot was 36 yards. the bullet entered the neck in front of
the shoulder and came out behind the opposite shoulder. so, no bullet recovery this time.
but damage to the lungs was impressive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
shot my very first deer/buck with PR's and my father in-law's frontloader, only made it 30 yrds from where i shot him in the Sandilands. problem is my gun doesn't like them

·
Registered
224 Posts
Shot them years ago 250's I believe. Shot a doe at 80yrds thank god there was snow as she ran 100 or so yrds no blood until 10 feet from her the bullet never expanded at all .Never used them again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using QT's for about 7-8 years now, and love them. My guns will put just about any weight from 180-250 grains into an inch or so at 100 yards. Terminal performance has been great on deer as well. Never recovered a bullet yet, and exit holes are always twoonie sized or better. I've hit deer at ranges from 35 yards to 150 yards and performance has been great every time!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been using 275 grain 45 cal QT's for 5 or 6 years. When I bought a new muzzle loader a couple of years ago I decided to try a different bullet and couldn't get them to group. Tried the QT's in the new gun and the groups tightened right up. Eventually changed to Blackhorn 209 powder, and still good groups. As for bullet performance, it's been nothing less than great. Any of the recovered bullets have been flattened right out to loonie type diameters, and not fractured at all. What ever they blend to make that alloy it is awesome. You'd have a hard time to get me to use anything else in my muzzle loader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts