Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see the anti-hunting editorial entitled "Bear Baiting, Spring Hunt will Produce Orphans" in today's Free Press written by Leslie Yeoman of the Humane Education Network (which I believe is sponsored partly by PETA). All tree-huger garbage with no facts (of course) to back up her claims! She wants the spring hunt & bear baiting outlawed! It happened in Ontario & it can happen here. We as hunters, whether you bear hunt or not (I don't) need to rise up & be just as vocal to nip this cr*p in the bud. I for one will be writing to the Free Press to express my outrage & help set the record straight. Hopefully the young lady who now writes the Outdoor articles will also take note of this editorial & re-butt it!

Click here to read the editorial!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Lol, Where to start, first, if someone is taking the time/effort to hunt bear, chances are they are in it for a big boar, second, lets say at LEAST 50% of bear hunters are hunting with bows, Your right on top of the bears! if you see mama bear chances are your going to see the babies as they are usually right on her heels. I like how this year it's complaining about bear hunters, and last year it was complaining how many bears there were on the east side of the lake, people freaking out because yogi is knocking over someone bbq in grand beach etc. My family lives in Northeastern Ontario and the entire town is miserable when there is a crap blueberry harvest because the bears running around town and guess what? No spring bear hunt there! Wouldn't suprise me if more bears are orphaned by getting hit on the highway than anything else, maybe we should stop driving too.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Yeah, and we "shoot them when they are eating with their backs to us" the stupid woman wrote!!

[mod="brettwilby":3rexkymz]post edited by Moderator[/mod:3rexkymz]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Typical Anti-hunters...they only think we are out there to just kill animals for as a "trophy". I've had acouple run-ins with people in the anti-hunting community and it is astounding how close minded those people can be. Everytime i try to explain what hunters really do and how we care more about the natural resources of this province they don't even want to hear what i have to say, but on the otherhand believe that i should listen to everything they have to say. They just think they care about the natural resources we have.
As for the story in the paper, it is a total slap in the face to the hunting community. I'm not saying that there are not female bears that are shot every spring, but that is why they use a bait, to be able to make sure that it is a boar. Also, if the cubs are small, they won't be "hidding in the bushes" like she says, they will be right behind the mom. As for her info for the article, she did some good "google" seaches. What she doesn't say is that there are bigger dangers to cubs, like male bears, the boar will kill the cubs to make the female come into heat quicker. Large packs of wolves that are becoming more common will kill a mother bear, leaving the cubs orphaned. Also how many are orphaned due to car collisions? They don't want us to hunt the bears, then they complain when there are too many bears, they don't know what they want.
Sorry, for the bit of a rant, but i just hate when the hunting community get painted to look bad. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fish_Killer said:
Typical Anti-hunters...they only think we are out there to just kill animals for as a "trophy". I've had acouple run-ins with people in the anti-hunting community and it is astounding how close minded those people can be. Everytime i try to explain what hunters really do and how we care more about the natural resources of this province they don't even want to hear what i have to say, but on the otherhand believe that i should listen to everything they have to say. They just think they care about the natural resources we have.
As for the story in the paper, it is a total slap in the face to the hunting community. I'm not saying that there are not female bears that are shot every spring, but that is why they use a bait, to be able to make sure that it is a boar. Also, if the cubs are small, they won't be "hidding in the bushes" like she says, they will be right behind the mom. As for her info for the article, she did some good "google" seaches. What she doesn't say is that there are bigger dangers to cubs, like male bears, the boar will kill the cubs to make the female come into heat quicker. Large packs of wolves that are becoming more common will kill a mother bear, leaving the cubs orphaned. Also how many are orphaned due to car collisions? They don't want us to hunt the bears, then they complain when there are too many bears, they don't know what they want.
Sorry, for the bit of a rant, but i just hate when the hunting community get painted to look bad. :D
Agreed!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
clawj said:
Fish_Killer said:
Agreed!!
x2

I wonder if she wears leather shoes and has a leather purse??? Probably

·
Registered
44 Posts
Typical uneducated "expert" who probably has never took a minute of their life to talk to a [glow=red:2if7w9j6]real[/glow:2if7w9j6] hunter, a [glow=red:2if7w9j6]real[/glow:2if7w9j6] natural resource management professional or a [glow=red:2if7w9j6]real[/glow:2if7w9j6] wildlife biologist.
What anti-hunters don't realize that hunting is far more than the simple harvest of an animal or the momentary rush you get when you pull the trigger. Its a tradition and a way of life for so many people. I learned to hunt from my father, my father from his, my grandfather learned from my great grandfather and so on... My fondest memories come from cool autumn days with my dad as a youngster just getting outside and learning about the natural world. Thats what my hunting is about, everybody has their own reasons for taking to our province's fields, forests and wetlands each year. If some ill-educated, bitter, tirte "environmentalist" tries to tell me that I am an ecologically negligent sociopath because I am a hunter... I will stand tall and defend the way of life for many of my fellow Canadians
As for the bears... She has no idea what she is talking about and claiming that a disproportionate quantity of cubs are orphaned by legitimate hunters is just ludacris. Its the good-for-nothing poachers which knowingly kill mother bears and leave her cubs for dead
Heres a link to the article http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 40275.html
Just my 2¢

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
The only way to offset the effect of some of these people is to respond online with a professional, non-emotional response that delivers facts to illustrate the fiction in the article. Many of the responses did just that. We need to be aware that one of the main reasons for an article like that is to get attention and the more emotional the better. So don't get emotional in your response. Point out the errors. Ask her for the documented numbers of females that are shot during the spring bear hunt. Some of the responses state the reason for using baits. Many non-hunters do not see that as fair chase hunting even though I'm sure they have never heard the term. One of the responses then stated that there should only be a fall hunt. Leslie managed to paint a picture of starving orphaned cubs right after a cub rescue. On her part that was a very strategic move. I have to wonder at the Free Press (really?) and their often one sided stances. Would they offer the opportunity for a rebuttal? Or maybe we as hunters need to "vote" our opinion by writing to the editor to let them know we will be cancelling our subscriptions due to their biases. Just think of the good she could do if she focused her efforts on getting the City of Winnipeg's sewage infrastructure and it's effect on Lake Winnipeg corrected.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
This type of garbage come out every year, just before the seasons open. The people writing those articles truly show a lack of journalistic integrity, since they fail to get the other (real) side of those stories.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
By the way, I didn't mention that doing an online response only is not the best way. The people who read the "paper" version are not likely going online to see responses. A "letter" to the editor is the only way to get a response in print; providing that the newspaper is truly looking for both sides of the story.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's time that hunters, anglers and outdoorsmen had their say
Very good point snomad! Imagine the good that could be done if the masses were educated about the tragedy that is the sate of Lk Wpg!
Too bad that would be bad for the pork industry and other agricultural sectors, protected by the government like all "cash cows". Manitoba as one of the world's largest pork producers and we are now upping the number of hogs exported to the growing Asian markets meaning that without change of waste management practices the state of our lake will only get worse; unless we can unite as a common front and lobby for the good of the resource and the good of Manitoba... We're fighting a war for the future of our lakes and forests

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Its amazing what money does!!!

It is illegal here to shoot a sow with cubs... granted sometime people make mistakes and sometime problem animals need to be put down... I don't believe stopping the spring bear hunt will help at all... the cubs are usually with the sow in fall too...

We cannot let happen here whats happening in the states with the wolves, the anti's and there big money backers spend BIllions of dollars to keep wolves on the endangered species list and take billions more from the people directly effected by them...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts