Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fortunate that this year with the reduced deer tags in most areas and shorter hunting seasons, that in my archery area we are still allowed antler less tags. I did some scouting with a friend tonight and since we had and hour and a half before dark after finishing our scouting, we headed for a couple other properties we hunt. He dropped me off at the field that I harvested my buck the other night. I checked my trail cam and again not a single picture, so with a good wind I decided to try my luck in the stand I shot my buck from the other night. Well half an hour before dark a few deer step on the field from an area totally unexpected 100 yards away. They get spooked by something in the bush by them and where do they run? Straight towards me! They stop and feed about 40 yards away, not a shot I wanted to take so I waited. Then to my surprise and happiness they start walking across the field towards my exact location. I get the APA bow raised, draw back as I'm shielded by some branches and leaves, she steps out from behind the branches into the open at a distance of 20 yards. I release the arrow and hear that awesome whack sound! She runs about 30 yards into some willows. I waited 15 minutes and went to find her, the soaked arrow was stuck in the mud for a complete pass through and the deer was laying 5 feet inside the willows. I know some guys don't get excited about does and doe pictures, I have friends that are totally against shooting does, but it's just as satisfying as a buck is for me and tastes just as good to me and my family and friends that love deer meat.! Sorry about the poor picture quality it's just off my phone from out in the field.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great job! It sure is nice to fill the freezer with deer meat, that is all the meat we use when we have it, it sure will be nice to have the deer numbers come back up and be able to get a few more tags.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Right on Jamie! Congrats on another great shot! Just making more time for fall greenbacks :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Way to go. We love venison also and have taken does when the population is up there. In my area it will be bucks only for me till the population rebounds some. The good winter we had last year will help a lot. I am seeing a lot of twins this summer, so it looks good.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice start to your season Jamie. One more true arrow and you will have to wait a full year to get your deer fix, while the rest of us are just looking forward to our up coming deer hunts. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congrats! Aint nothing wrong with a doe pic from your area, that's for sure. Lots of them out there. But I swear if you post another pic before I get one......lol :mrgreen:

·
Banned
216 Posts
clawj said:
I have friends that are totally against shooting does, but it's just as satisfying as a buck
I'm no fan of shooting them either to be honest.
The thing with shooting does is that you take a lot of potential deer out out of herd down the road, just by killing a single doe.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brasso said:
clawj said:
I have friends that are totally against shooting does, but it's just as satisfying as a buck
I'm no fan of shooting them either to be honest.
The thing with shooting does is that you take a lot of potential deer out out of herd down the road, just by killing a single doe.
To each their own. If you actually do research on the subject almost every single article on the subject will say that harvesting does is necessary for a healthy herd and buck to doe ratio. I knew not everyone would love doe pictures but I love hunting and fishing stories and pictures regardless of size, species, sex, etc so I figured I'd share a story and picture.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm with you on the harvest of does to help the deer herd!!! A quick look at what the aggressive doe harvests that our southern neighbors have implied using QDMA shows the results!!!

·
Banned
216 Posts
clawj said:
If you actually do research on the subject almost every single article on the subject will say that harvesting does is necessary for a healthy herd and buck to doe ratio.
That might imply for Alabama or other less extreme places with huge deer herds, (and that's where most of these "studies" come from) but not to the whitetail living at their extreme northernmost ranges.....where the natural selection pretty much takes care for all the game management for us.
When 40% of the deer herd has been wiped out, like here, it's not much point talking about a "healthy herd" or buck doe ratio....it's more like preserving whatever we have left, otherwise it's like putting the cart before the horse, but anyways each of their own.

PS

Everybody who hunts knows there is barely any deer left in the Whiteshell, probably there is more wolfs, coyotes than deer, yet one can buy a second deer license. QDM at it's best I'll tell you.
Look what's happening with the moose in the province. They let hunters (treaties, metis) kill all of them in a given area then they shut the area down completely....or "managing" it they say!!!!?? Brilliant isn't it ??!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No doubt in some areas of the province the deer numbers are down and mb conservation is taking steps to revive the populations in those areas. In my zone there may be less deer this year, I'm not even positive about that, but there is still no shortage. Every landowner I talk to has a deer " problem". Even in other zones I'm not sold on the idea that shooting does will decimate the population. The natives, well that's a whole other uncontroable issue that I'm sure many people see eye to eye on but that's a whole other discussion and can of worms.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
brasso said:
clawj said:
If you actually do research on the subject almost every single article on the subject will say that harvesting does is necessary for a healthy herd and buck to doe ratio.
That might imply for Alabama or other less extreme places with huge deer herds, (and that's where most of these "studies" come from) but not to the whitetail living at their extreme northernmost ranges.....where the natural selection pretty much takes care for all the game management for us.
When 40% of the deer herd has been wiped out, like here, it's not much point talking about a "healthy herd" or buck doe ratio....it's more like preserving whatever we have left, otherwise it's like putting the cart before the horse, but anyways each of their own.

PS

Everybody who hunts knows there is barely any deer left in the Whiteshell, probably there is more wolfs, coyotes than deer, yet one can buy a second deer license. QDM at it's best I'll tell you.
Look what's happening with the moose in the province. They let hunters (treaties, metis) kill all of them in a given area then they shut the area down completely....or "managing" it they say!!!!?? Brilliant isn't it ??!!

The reason That your allowed two or three does in the eastern area of the province is because the deer are, to a small degree hurting the moose population... and by offering extra tags some people will have the opportunity to harvest some wolves and coyotes, which IMO really needs to be pushed, more so the wolves than the yotes... Doe management is definitely going to be a part of the rehabilitation of our deer herds in the future... Too many does is worse than not enough!!! You can't blame the suffering deer populations on the metis or treaty hunters, if you need to point a finger, point it at the provinces big game manager for failing to do his job!!!

Congrats again Jamie!!!

·
Banned
216 Posts
Patty said:
You can't blame the suffering deer populations on the metis or treaty hunters, if you need to point a finger, point it at the at the provinces big game manager for failing to do his job!!!
Where did I do that ? ...what are you saying ? :lol: :roll: besides how could we offend anybody that would be so non-Canadian ;)

On that note, it's pretty hard to manage anything when you are clueless about what, where, when, and how many heads are being killed by these "subsistence" parties.....year around.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
brasso said:
it's pretty hard to manage anything when you are clueless about what, where, when, and how many heads are being killed by these "subsistence" parties.....year around.
Wildlife management jobs come open all the time...step up and show them/us how it's supposed to be done!

·
Banned
216 Posts
André said:
Wildlife management jobs come open all the time...step up and show them/us how it's supposed to be done!
"It's pretty hard to manage anything when you are clueless about what, where, when, and how many heads are being killed by these "subsistence" parties.....year around.".

For starters, all the hunters regardless of background the same hunting rules and regulations should apply, for the game managers to be able to practice any kind of effective game management, but since that's not happening or will happen in the future as we all know, game management around here remains nothing but a "feel good" and "keep our fingers crossed" type of occupation, almost bordering meaningless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts