Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in picking up a lever action 357 mag rifle. specifically the marlin 1894. anyone have any experience with one?
I'd be using it mostly just for plinking at the range and possibly as a bush gun for deer. I like the fact that i could shoot 357 mag & 38 specials at half the price of a 30-30.
I read an article that a bullet was getting a velocity increase of ~50% over the listed hand gun velocities due to the longer barrel (2000+fps).

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
did_b said:
I'm interested in picking up a lever action 357 mag rifle. specifically the marlin 1894. anyone have any experience with one?
I'd be using it mostly just for plinking at the range and possibly as a bush gun for deer. I like the fact that i could shoot 357 mag & 38 specials at half the price of a 30-30.
I read an article that a bullet was getting a velocity increase of ~50% over the listed hand gun velocities due to the longer barrel (2000+fps).
50% increase....that seems like an awful lot...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Did b it's your money, and you can do with it as you please. But tags are not free and gas is very expensive, and meat is worth money. Do you want to gamble all this on saving a little bit of money on shells. Shells are nothing compared to every thing else. If nostalga is what you are after or some other reason go for it. Other wise I say get a deer gun caliber. I am not trying to criticize, but give you the best advice I can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts