Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a gun guru but I have a chance to get a .303 with peep sights

What are the practical uses for a .303 is it used much for hunting or are they more of a toy on the range type of gun?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Lots of deer and moose have been taken with that round. It is a bit slower than a .308. If you have the opportunity to shoot it, do so to see what kind of accuracy it displays. Take a good look at the bore too. Is it a military sporter or is it one of the nice ones redone by Parker Hale? If you are good with open sights that's fine. Many of the military rifles are hard to put a scope mount on and are not worth doing so. Compare the price of that rifle with buying a new Marlin XL7 in a modern caliber for $329 or so with all it's features, accuracy and ease of mounting a scope if desired. The .303 has to be a pretty good deal to compete with that or perhaps be an original unmodified military rifle in great shape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would be paying maybe $100

Might just look to sell it for what it costs me. I am really after the shotgun that the guy is selling with the .303

·
Registered
869 Posts
More guns the merrier, for 100$ I'd say go for it. Like Jan said though, if it is an Enfield (Which I'm sure it is if it is $100.00 give it a good look over).

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If the $100 won't break you I wouldn't worry about how it shoots... although most of the old military ones are Rainbow shooters the parker hales are good guns that shoot very well... Who knows maybe you'll stumble upon something special and it will be worth way more than $100!!! ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
My dad has a sporter style 303. His gun by far has been the most accurate open site gun I've shot. Too bad my dads eye sight don't let him shoot more deer with it. 10 shot mag is pretty cool too

·
Registered
101 Posts
It is legal to only put 4 in the clip isn't it? Either way gun hasn't been used for many many years cause of eye sight. But thanks for the legal info.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
A 10 shot clip on a .303 is legal. It is not a semi-auto. The other exception to the 5 shot SEMI rule is on a Garand which uses the 8 shot stripper type enbloc clip which can't be pinned I guess.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sorta off topic... I have a 10 shot clip for my .22lr semi auto, is it legal??? been checked by CO's while chicken hunting and nothing has been said so I assumed it was okay...

·
Registered
653 Posts
.303 is probably the most common hunting rifle out there, almost everyone has one, and started to hunt with it. Atleast, two of my friends who hunt and myself, have them, they sit in the back of the gun cabinets behind the newer rifles we have to replace them. Cheap gun to start with and can hunt anything with them, they have even been used in Africa for elephant. They just won't win any prizes for beauty or being the best at anything.

But for $100. if it shoots it might be a good buy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeh there is alot of magnum calibers out there but compare the .303 british to the 30-30 and its no slouch. Ask any German soldier who has been on the business end of the famous Lee Enfields. I am sure plenty of deer have been taken with the 30-30 so the heavier bullets available for the .303 give it the power to take tougher game like black bear and even moose. Although it is up to the person behind the rifle to do his part, with iron sights shot placement and range have to be kept in reason. In my opinion with my experience with the .303 its a good buy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SISIF said:
10-shot mag is illegal on a rifle. Has to be capped to 5.
Only in semi-auto centerfire. And a rifle that is chambered in a pistol round for example the Cx4 Storm which is semi auto is legal with a 10 round mag.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies, I know have the .303 in my possession. Any idea where I would find the serial number and model information on the gun?

·
Registered
869 Posts
No more registration! I was at the range last night and was hitting a 12"x12" metal plate at 209yds open sights with my 303, great guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I know have the .303 in my possession. Any idea where I would find the serial number and model information on the gun?[/QUOTE

You should be able to find a serial number on the left side of the action along with the model, manufacturer, and a proof mark (broad arrow for British manufacture and a "C" with a broad arrow for Canadian manufacture), or you can check the steel band where the butt of the rifle joins the rest of the stock (under the bolt handle).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts