Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! New to the site and so far I'm really enjoying it. Wondering everyones thought on buying a 22. Mag vs buying a 17 HMR? Just want it for odd target shooting or small animals.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a difference in the cost of ammo or not and it really depends on how much target shooting you are going to do. If the ranges are going to be around 50 yards for target shooting I would just get a .22. The savings in ammo will pay for a better quality rifle. I've had both .22 mag and .17 mag and if I were to get another it would be the .22 mag due to the heavier bullet. The choice of rifles available in either caliber might also affect your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. IM outta town but as soon as i get home im going to pick one up asap

·
Registered
193 Posts
I myself prefer the .17hmr, so accurate. Dropping gophers out to 180 yds is a blast. But if the wind is blowing it can push the .17 around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea thats the one thing i heard of the 17 is the bullet drift which kinda had me leaning toward the 22 wmr

·
Registered
193 Posts
Normally I don't have too much of a problem with it, just the really windy days. But the flat trajectory of this round, and 1" groups or less at 100yds, is tough to beat. I have shot rabbits at 150yds with both the 17gr Hornady, and the 20 gr Hornady hollowpoint, and they dropped on the spot. I don't shoot a whole lot, but when I do, I like accuracy, and the .17 has it in spades. The rounds do cost more, but if your like me, and don't shoot a lot, it is well worth it. Have you shot either round? If you have not, and are in the Winkler area for some reason, stop by, we'll take it out and you can try it.
Rabbits tasted good to, and I don't even know how to prepare them right...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts