Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you can hit it in the head or neck it will drop for sure...no guarantees regarding body shots, that all depends on the feather density, but if it pierces them it should die. I know a few people that hunt grouse like this, but they usually only do so while moose hunting and those grouse don't run from people for some reason...the grouse I usually hunt jump up in packs of 3 or 4 from shrubs and take off like rockets, so I need to use a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I Use a .22 for Grouse and have had lots of success. But when they get up and fly away it is over for me until they land. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
get the proper tool to the job Donovan, even though a pellet gun can and will take down a chicken, I certainly don't recommend it....get a 22 or 410

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree with Tinman, anything from a 22. to a 12g would work. I like using my single shot 16g and 410. H&R has single-shots for around 130$ brand new if I remember, They have a really nice ejection to them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
At close range, 10 to 15 yards, you should be ok. Head and neck shots will pot you a bird. Body shots will most likely end with a wounded bird left to die a slow death. Just no shock power at 500 fps.

Best off with a .22 rimfire or a .410.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd personally go with a 12g.....cheap ammo, good for shooting birds on the fly....if there is a bird in some thicker cover you got a bit more power to get through it. Big thing is patterning your gun so you know where your shots are going at various differences so you can save the meat, When I use my 12g on grouse I rarely have pellets in the breast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just thought I would pose the question. I only hunt birds with my shotgun but this pellet gun rips holes clean through tin cans at a really good distance so I was just curious. I would not want to chance injuring a bird or animal. I was considering having the governing system what ever it is removed or changed as I have read that this gun in the states can shoot over 1000 fps with no alterations. I believe it was altered or governed to be sold in Canada at under 500 fps?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work for body shots. I use mine to kill cottontails and meadow grizzlies (wood chucks) with body shots, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
offshoreonly said:
I mean, There's nothing wrong with it per say just wouldn't be my first choice. If you were to hunt with it I'd put a scope on it :D
Not my first choice either, but where I live, the neighbors start diving for cover if rifles and shotguns start going off.

·
Registered
530 Posts
back in England we killed just about everything from rats to geese and foxes with a air rifle. I have shot Pheasants in the hundreds at night when there roosting and chest shots work too but i like to aim for the head every time with a air rifle i always say better a clean miss than a wounded animal

·
Registered
206 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. have witnessed hundreds of pigeons fall from a .177 pellet as a young'n, "Roughly' the same size bird....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Blackwatercats said:
I just thought I would pose the question. I only hunt birds with my shotgun but this pellet gun rips holes clean through tin cans at a really good distance so I was just curious. I would not want to chance injuring a bird or animal. I was considering having the governing system what ever it is removed or changed as I have read that this gun in the states can shoot over 1000 fps with no alterations. I believe it was altered or governed to be sold in Canada at under 500 fps?

Anything over 500fps is considered a firearm in Canada, and you need a PAL to have it.
Lots of companies will make a <500fps and identical 1000+ fps rifle. Just a different piston as far as i know

·
Registered
2 Posts
It can be done, both in .177 and .22

If you are penetrating both sides of a can at 15 yds, your chances are good.
Choose a pellet that is accurate, and practice at 1/2" targets- about the size of the k/z on a grouse head.

This time of year, the temperature is going to affect your p.o.i. Let the rifle cool to the ambient temperature, and check your zero.

Pellet construction helps too- a quality pellet like the 16 gr jsb predator is accurate, and capable of expanding much better than the off the shelf stuff at Walmart and Canadian Tire.

What air rifle are you using?

-W.H.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts