Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring thunder is fast approaching again! How are things shaping up for this year’s turkey season?

I’ve got permission secured. Debating bow vs shotgun, need to do a little scouting. Looking forward to chasing some turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Spring thunder is fast approaching again! How are things shaping up for this year’s turkey season?

I’ve got permission secured. Debating bow vs shotgun, need to do a little scouting. Looking forward to chasing some turkeys.

I’ve never turkey hunted but really want to having just moved here from SK. I have all my typical hunting gear (camo, tools, etc) but what extra gear would a guy need going by himself? I assume calls and a decoys? Do you just need one decoy? Hen or Tom? Any insight you could offer would be awesome!

·
Registered
355 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I’ve never turkey hunted but really want to having just moved here from SK. I have all my typical hunting gear (camo, tools, etc) but what extra gear would a guy need going by himself? I assume calls and a decoys? Do you just need one decoy? Hen or Tom? Any insight you could offer would be awesome!
SPRING TONIC
Lots of good information out on turkey hunting--- Read---Read and research
Decoys --- Two --- Hen and Jake
Call --- Practise --- Practise
Shotgun --- Practise and pattern (head shots)
Scout --- Scout--- Scout (look and listen)
Most important is --- Permission (if not on crown land)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like Foxer says.

Watch some videos too, you tube is a great resource for tactics and calling.

Need full camo and I use a buff, b/c they see in colour. I often use a little stake blind to just so I can get away with a bit of movement.

Pattern your shotgun, figure out a load. I use a Weatherby SA 08 (my only and every thing shotgun), a Primos Tight Wad choke and Winchester Long Beard XR shells.

Scout, pattern, permission. Find some birds and get permission and keep an eye on them.

Calling may take a bit to learn. I learned on a box and picked up a mouth call after I could do some on the box. I would recommend the same. Don’t buy a cheap box call, buy a good one.

Decoys, I use a hen and a jake often. Primos set that I repainted to look more realistic.

You can pattern them to the point where you might be able to ambush one until you get the calling and decoy game down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Yea was going to start looking at permission and picking up a couple decoys. I am decent with an elk reed call so was gonna go that direction since I’m familiar with it. Looking forward to getting into it. Just gotta find em

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yea was going to start looking at permission and picking up a couple decoys. I am decent with an elk reed call so was gonna go that direction since I’m familiar with it. Looking forward to getting into it. Just gotta find em
[/QUOTE]
Some elk diaphram calls can make excellent hen turkey sounds and is one of my go to calls to seal the deal. Again practise, practise but do not overcall when hunting. Getting out and finding the birds and getting a hunt lined up is an enjoyable part of the process which should not not be overlooked. The woods are alive with sound in the spring. If you do your part you'll even hear the ticks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow nice I’ve never turkey hunted but really want to have just moved here from SK. I have all my typical hunting gear (camo, tools, etc) but what extra gear would a guy need going by himself? I assume calls and decoys Polyform buoys in UAE? Do you just need one decoy? Hen or Tom? Any insight you could offer would be awesome!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Licenses are now available online. Please note that if you have previously ordered game TAGS you will need to assign the TAG number to your license at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
302 Posts
One of these days, I'm gonna get around to some turkey hunting... year after year, it just keeps getting bumped down the list LOL
Me too. I promised a man that was like a grandfather to me when I was young. that I would shoot a turkey one day. Really gotta get after it one of these years

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just a general observation during my travels - populations seem to have wintered well and appear to be up.

I'll be starting my official scouting in a week or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts