Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you all seeing out there?

The turkey appear to have wintered well and populations seem up.

I'm wondering what you all are seeing out there for upland species? You folks in the SW corner of the province, are you seeing pheasants?

When do the Lek counts typically occur for sharpies? Damn coyotes killed a few in the field by my house that I usually train the dogs in.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Generally was a mild winter thru the prairies, so pending no spring issues, the birds should be having a good year - altho that can change quickly
I haven't been out and about too much due to road conditions, but have gone to the range a fair lot - Huns and Sharpies are seen or heard almost every time - hope that s a good sign!
Interesting enough I did frequent a few areas last fall that had an overabundance of birds of prey, and not surprising, those areas were almost void of upland. Hopefully this year will e different!
Don't hold your breath on pheasants or Woodcock - they are sort of like unicorns in Manitoba.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen a couple grouse around the back end of my land where I've done some cutting. Pretty sure once they're in-season, I'll never find 'em (based on my last couple years anyway).
Ain't that the way it goes? LOL .... I actually had a pretty successful year last year with two green dogs. This year is going to be killer now that they have some wild bird experience under their belts.

Generally was a mild winter thru the prairies, so pending no spring issues, the birds should be having a good year - altho that can change quickly
I haven't been out and about too much due to road conditions, but have gone to the range a fair lot - Huns and Sharpies are seen or heard almost every time - hope that s a good sign!
Interesting enough I did frequent a few areas last fall that had an overabundance of birds of prey, and not surprising, those areas were almost void of upland. Hopefully this year will e different!
Don't hold your breath on pheasants or Woodcock - they are sort of like unicorns in Manitoba.
My concern is the coyote population .... I think the weather is going to be good for the birds, but the mild winter also helped the coyotes and everything else.

I'm going for a drive in a few weeks to see the pheasant situation. I'm waiting for migration to finish before looking at woodcocks - too early for them yet I think. I don't think we'll see much of any until May sometime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RGS had, maybe still does, a count and I think transmitter camp in NW Minnesota during the hatch. Roughly, if they need more volunteers, you let them know you are interested, they test your dog for steadiness, you get a bit bug bit and it helps with stuff like migration map below. Maybe something to consider next year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RGS had, maybe still does, a count and I think transmitter camp in NW Minnesota during the hatch. Roughly, if they need more volunteers, you let them know you are interested, they test your dog for steadiness, you get a bit bug bit and it helps with stuff like migration map below. Maybe something to consider next year.
Thanks, Lars. I believe there's a fellow on here that's trying to get a RGS chapter started in MB.

I also know that Sharptails Plus is out there, but unsure on how active.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts