Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

2012 archery buck

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  canadian-ice 
#1 ·
one tag, one buck. end of season.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
so heres the story for those of you that asked.
On Sept 15th i had planned to head out to one of my favorite stands at 4pm where i had a few pics of decent bucks (one being the beauty i'm pictured with). i awoke from a power nap only to realize that it was already 4:45pm #$@*! After fighting with myself as to whether i should even head out or not, my mind was made up. so after a quick shower and a protein shake, i was blazing down the road to the property. I was settled into my stand before 5:30pm. Shortly after 6pm i noticed a smaller buck making its way towards my stand. Again, a battle took place in my head, "should I, shouldn't I". But at that moment another set of antlers appeared though the slough grass following the smaller buck. My mind was made up, i was going to take this buck. Slowly but surely they browsed and grazed closer and closer. Then the big buck decides hes had enough and beds down in the tall slough grass 35 yards away, leaving only his antler tips visible. The smaller buck continues walking 12 yards right in front of my stand, decides to have a private photo shoot with my TC before giving it a few sniffs, has a staring contest with me then disappears behind my stand. It has now been about 25 minutes since the bigger buck bedded down. Suddenly I can feel a slight vibration in the tree and can hear a light banging directly below my stand. I'm thinking "what the f@#*? only to look down and realize that little buck is racking his antlers on the tree im in and the "banging" was the sound of his antlers hitting my screw in steps. All of this racket must have made the bigger buck uncomfortable because he stood up, and was on a crash course for my 20yard shooting lane. He stepped behind 2 large poplar trees giving me an opportunity to draw, 6 more steps, a quiet mouth bleat, and i let my arrow fly. The buck took off running but stopped after only 20 yards and stood there without as much as a wobble. Instantly my head was filled with the thought that every hunter dreads "my shot was good, wasn't it?" Seconds later he buried his nose in the dirty. Man was i pumped!!!!!! Even though i knew my buck was down i waited for 20 mins or so, and had a chance to watch the smaller buck make his way back, and circle my dead deer half a dozen times. The smaller buck never snorted or showed any signs of alertness. curiosity? siblings? your guess is as good as mine. That deer never left the area until i climbed down and was a mere 25 yards from him.

This buck was only my second one harvested with a bow. The first being a 125" in velvet in 2003. He is a 7 x 5 and nets 126.
Ive been pretty fortunate over the years to harvest some great bucks, but i tell you the feeling of a successful day in the stand never gets old.

#8 ·
That is awesome! Thanks for the story. I like seeing pictures but I love reading and hearing the story of the hunt. I'm going to say no to the sibling question, but who knows? There's nothing like the close interactions you experience with bow hunting, getting to see the deer mere yards away, and then have it all culminate in a successful shot on a beautiful animal. Congrats again.

#16 ·
Atta boy Nikolai!

THE difference between archery and long gun hunting right there; 35 yards away and can't shoot! Switch our human clocks to deer clock and wait....wait....wait. Having that little guy rubbing your stand tree is priceless. You'll remember that for the rest of your life!

AND then sticking that herd buck! I can still feel the post shot shakes from my archery deer kills and none of them come close to what you bagged there! Congratulations Nick!

Hope Dad picks up the tab on the mount! You need your money to get your arse to Alberta! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.