Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night my father inlaw asked if I was thinking at all about moose hunting this fall, we have a cabin in 17A and I have done all my moose hunting there, but in about 7 years of hunting moose I have never had a moose respond.
I wasn't thinking about hunting moose this year, is that an area that is worth trying again?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have not hunted 17a for maybe 20 years it always was slow. I used to have an old van to stay in but it is not road worthy any more, so I gave it up. I have a cabin near Tall Timber now thus I hunted area 26 but that is gone now.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
They had to do something... It was out of hand... All these guys that come up here moose hunting weren't the problem but they weren't helping either... The moose have two main predators up here, Treaty hunters and wolves, the licensed hunting isn't whats harming the moose... And yeah there will be a minority of "treaty" people that do not abide by the closure, but it is a start... without it there is no denying that the moose would not stand a chance... they still have a very slim chance of making a full recovery in 26 or 17a... If all the guys that were willing to freeze their a$$es off late season moose hunting would come freeze and pick off a few wolves it would help too!!!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
The area that I hunt, I was told by the powers that be, had just under 50 moose (bull, cows, and calves) taken by non-licensed hunters, 4 (bulls) by lic hunters... I am sure its the same song-and-dance all over Manitoba... banning licensed hunters will have the square root of FA impact on moose populations.

Patty lets cross our fingers it comes back down there - but...

Anyhow, sorry to Hijack this thread -

over and out!

·
Registered
339 Posts
To shoot or trap a few wolves does help, but little. Packs have a process that keeps numbers constant. This is a long subject and I do not feel like typing it out (too slow at typing) to explain. The answer is to wipe the pack out. Do you want to solve the problem or play with it. The only effective way is aerial shooting and who has the political will to do that. We live in a world today where people would go nuts if this was done, but say little as bombs are dropped on other human beings.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The thing is can you afford to throw away the $52, and do you have the time. You probably have a very nice place to stay, then I would go. It is a wonderful thing to speed time outdoors with people you like never mind if you get anything. Do your best, hunt hard, be safe and at the end of it all you will be glad you did. Given the opportunity I would go, unless the guy is a flaming pirate.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ldb pikester said:
To shoot or trap a few wolves does help, but little. Packs have a process that keeps numbers constant. This is a long subject and I do not feel like typing it out (too slow at typing) to explain. The answer is to wipe the pack out. Do you want to solve the problem or play with it. The only effective way is aerial shooting and who has the political will to do that. We live in a world today where people would go nuts if this was done, but say little as bombs are dropped on other human beings.

If you shoot/trap the right wolves it does help to break up the pack structure causing the pack to break up somewhat...

Back on topic there still are moose up here, just few and far between... I never seen it in its glory days but i did move here when the population was crashing... I was looking forward to shooting my first moose, but until or if the population ever recovers I will do my part to help and save my $52...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we're going, don't expect a moose, I just need some time off, I'd kinda like to hike into some new areas to see some new country, see how it goes, if you guys are lucky I might have some pictures to post.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hope the moose and weather cooperate for you. If nothing else, bring along a 22 for some chicken action. Always a nice way to spend an evening. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Always wish we could carry .22 pistols to shoot grouse, would have shot many by now.
Also would like a shotgun to pass shoot ducks, it just hard to pack that much stuff into a cub

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hasn't been much (that I've seen) come out of 17A yet... Usually see the fly out guys driving out with their kills...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was worth it, I'll have to post a picture and the story, even though there really isn't much of one

1 - 20 of 28 Posts