Originally Posted by snomad
Thanks for the feedback. Most if not all of the above suggestions have been asked for. It fell off the face of the earth while I was down south and is back on the burner.
As for ad edits, a mod can do that for you. Having said that, I cannot get to all the edits that would be required on this now much busier Buy/Sell.
As for multiple modes of contact, read the stickies. This is an open forum and the first mode of communication should be a PM. Exchange other contact info that way, not in your ad or a comment on the ad. That should be the method used to communicate with a seller, PERIOD.
As I mentioned, I have asked for changes to be similar to another very well known forum, let's wait and see if the forum software will allow those changes.
Thanks for your co-operation until then.
I believe that yes pm is the way to go but most people don't like using that method.
This is the instant gratification era where "I want to know now" and "want something now" so they don't wait for mods to make changes especially when I believe there are two mods on this site and as you state you are not on every minute and have been away. So most individuals have taken actions in their own hands and update on the fly which does bump your add.
I would hazard a guess that some people are purposely vague and "miss" putting info in the add so guys ask questions so they bump their add for them and their response bumps the add one more time.
Yes this an open site and we should be aware that scammers can obtain your info so you should hide it as much as possible. But if someone would like a "visitor" to purchase their item they leave a email address or phone number and that allows visitors to purchase their item as well. I for one use my cell number and an alias email address to limit what info a scammer can glean but allow "visitors" to contact me if they desire.
I believe that things change over time and so does this site need to change to keep up with the times.
As for the amount of traffic in the buy and sell has went up this is good for the owner of the site as I assume they make money by people visiting the site. I have herd rumours that certain forums was originally setup by Natural Resources or RCMP to gather info.
I believe the Saskatchewan Hunting forum was such a site that is now shut down.
90% of the activity in this site is in the buy and sell forum but I do enjoy the other 10% of people sharing hunting stories and gathering information about hunting and shooting.
Just my opinion.