Ad bumps -- Changes finalized -- please read. - Manitoba Hunting Forum - The Premier Hunting Forum Of Manitoba

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Ad bumps -- Changes finalized -- please read.

This is a last warning regarding ad bumps as there appears to be more and more members ignoring the stickies regarding buy and sell rules laid out about ad bumps sooner than every seven days. Comments or price adjustments to your ad are considered bumps. Every one of these I see will immediately have the ad deleted. A second violation will either earn you a ban or lose you the right to the buy and sell. Life is too short for this (&%$.

Last edited by snomad; 04-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.
snomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snomad For This Useful Post:
Cookern (03-27-2019), MbWolf (03-28-2019), the hunter (03-31-2019), trouter2 (04-25-2019), wedge (03-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Hunter

Could it not be changed so that we could edit our posts, like on some other forums?
oldgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Hunter

Thanks... maybe double ads too. Like someone posting 7 ads for different items and then an 8th ad that is the previous 7 items.
850xpeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Hunter

Now how about those basement dealers that are in here?
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grand Master

If we have forgotten an important part of our ad such as price etc, someone comments asking what the price is surely we don't have to wait 7 days to respond to that do we?
hunt1687 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Grand Master

I know I have asked for system changes:
1) Edit original post
2) System controlled bump rules
3) No "post reply" option on add but only original poster can use it to bump add

I think this would solve pretty much all issues.

Other suggestions:

1) Bump rule changed to 3, 4, or 5 days.
2) More admins on the site and those should be people that frequent the site often

Buy and sell suggestions:
1) Price and location.

2) List multiple forms of communication in your post. Email address or cell number or phone number. Identify which method works best for you the seller.
3) Provide lots of detail so buyers are informed before contacting you. Make and model of each item would be very helpful and other things 3 inch chamber, condition, pics, etc
hillbilly49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. Most if not all of the above suggestions have been asked for. It fell off the face of the earth while I was down south and is back on the burner.
As for ad edits, a mod can do that for you. Having said that, I cannot get to all the edits that would be required on this now much busier Buy/Sell.
As for multiple modes of contact, read the stickies. This is an open forum and the first mode of communication should be a PM. Exchange other contact info that way, not in your ad or a comment on the ad. That should be the method used to communicate with a seller, PERIOD.
As I mentioned, I have asked for changes to be similar to another very well known forum, let's wait and see if the forum software will allow those changes.
Thanks for your co-operation until then.
MilsurpManiac (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grand Master

Snomad, just a question but how many mods are there for the site?
runnin'wild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomad View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Most if not all of the above suggestions have been asked for. It fell off the face of the earth while I was down south and is back on the burner.
As for ad edits, a mod can do that for you. Having said that, I cannot get to all the edits that would be required on this now much busier Buy/Sell.
As for multiple modes of contact, read the stickies. This is an open forum and the first mode of communication should be a PM. Exchange other contact info that way, not in your ad or a comment on the ad. That should be the method used to communicate with a seller, PERIOD.
As I mentioned, I have asked for changes to be similar to another very well known forum, let's wait and see if the forum software will allow those changes.
Thanks for your co-operation until then.

I believe that yes pm is the way to go but most people don't like using that method.
This is the instant gratification era where "I want to know now" and "want something now" so they don't wait for mods to make changes especially when I believe there are two mods on this site and as you state you are not on every minute and have been away. So most individuals have taken actions in their own hands and update on the fly which does bump your add.

I would hazard a guess that some people are purposely vague and "miss" putting info in the add so guys ask questions so they bump their add for them and their response bumps the add one more time.

Yes this an open site and we should be aware that scammers can obtain your info so you should hide it as much as possible. But if someone would like a "visitor" to purchase their item they leave a email address or phone number and that allows visitors to purchase their item as well. I for one use my cell number and an alias email address to limit what info a scammer can glean but allow "visitors" to contact me if they desire.

I believe that things change over time and so does this site need to change to keep up with the times.

As for the amount of traffic in the buy and sell has went up this is good for the owner of the site as I assume they make money by people visiting the site. I have herd rumours that certain forums was originally setup by Natural Resources or RCMP to gather info.
I believe the Saskatchewan Hunting forum was such a site that is now shut down.

90% of the activity in this site is in the buy and sell forum but I do enjoy the other 10% of people sharing hunting stories and gathering information about hunting and shooting.

Just my opinion.
hillbilly49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

All good feedback. There are a couple of mods on the site but I can't vouch for how active the other/s are. Reporting posts does help me and I have started deleting ads with bad bumps (lol). As for changes to the buy/sell it is not looking positive due to the software age unfortunately.
I believe an OP can edit his ad within ten minutes so if you forget the price there's your chance. As a mod, I have the ability to edit but I can tell you right now I don't have the time or pay grade to get that involved.
As for using P.M.'s, that is the only choice you have on Gunnutz so why sin't everyone following suit? If someone doesn't even take the time to read the buy/sell rules then abuse of same is ultimately going to get them banned.
The issue of dealers and vendors is a grey one. Do members not want the ability to buy from someone who offers a lot for sale but does not have a storefront? A website store is another thing.
Thanks again to those reporting abuse.
Cookern (04-16-2019), rockandroll (04-19-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Manitoba Hunting Forum - The Premier Hunting Forum Of Manitoba forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in